[EM] Poll-proposal: Presidential (ranks). STV (3 seats). Party-PR (500 seats)

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:37:33 PDT 2024

There was interest in a poll about PR. But I feel that first the PR methods
should be tried, used,  in a poll with the actual candidates & parties.

As I mentioned before, there’s no substitute for the experience of actually
using the electoral methods in polls. You don’t know the methods until you
use them.

So I propose a 3-part poll.  …presidential & PR:

1.  A Condorcet presidential-poll with 7 candidates + the approval-line. As
others have mentioned, of course it could be counted by any rank-count that
allows equal-ranking. But of course RP(wv) won here as the most
collectively popular, & so its winner should be reported.

The approval-line of course would allow counting by methods that use
explicit-approval.

…in addition to by the zero-cost implementation method.

2. A 3-seat STV poll among the same set of candidates as in the
presidential-poll.

…as if we were electing a 3-person presidential triumvirate, or seats in
some 3-member district in which those candidates are running.

Of course the STV rankings could be counted by any STV version, & integer
STV is (in some ways) an easier count. But fractional STV is the
unarbitrary STV that doesn’t require a rule or randomizing-process for the
order in which ballots transfer.

Of course, because the STV doesn’t allow equal-rankin, then its ballots
also could & would also be counted for an RCV count.

Of course if someone wanted to vote different rankings for STV & RCV, then
they could write both & indicate which is which.

3. A 500-seat at-large party-PR allocation election. Of course voters vote
for their favorite party, & seats are allocate to the parties in proportion
to their votes.

Reported will be: allocations by:

Sainte-Lague, Bias-Free (Ossipoff-Agnew), d’Hondt, Largest-Remainder, &
Huntington-Hill (“Equal-Proportions”).

SL & BF probably won’t differ from eachother.

————-

For the party-PR SL & BF allocation of 500 seats, the requirement for a
party being seated 🪑 is about 1/7 of one percent of the vote.

For the 3-seat STV allocation, the requirement is being over 1/4 of the
vote.

————-

SL, in actual implementations, requires .7 quotas for a party’s 1st seat.
That’s to thwart, prevent & discourage splitting-strategy, which could
otherwise sometimes be advantageous if the conditions were detected.

Because BF & SL give often the same allocation, then BF should have that
same requirement.

That’s taken into account for the abovestated requirement for a party to be
seated.

—————-

Candidates for presidential & STV elections:

(These listings are alphabetical.)

Joe Biden
RFK Jr.
Chase Oliver
Jill Stein
Donald Trump
Cornell West
Marianne Williamson
approval-line———————
———————
Parties for party-PR election:

American Independent
American Solidarity
Constitution
Democrat
Green
Libertarian
Peace & Freedom
Working Family
—————
Of course if this poll is going to happen, then additional nominations
should be allowed. But we probably don’t need a week or two for that.
Surely any additional nominations would be made within 2 days. So let’s say
that the period for optional additional nominations ends exactly 48 hours
after this message posts.

…& that the voting period begins at that same moment.

We don’t need a month for the voting-period, do we? Shall we say 1 week if
there’s no electioneering, & 2 weeks if there’s electioneering?

Anyone can change any of their ballots during the voting period.
————
Of course if this poll happens, & if no one else volunteers to take the
responsibility of recording the ballots, then I’ll do so.  …then of course
will unblock the people I’ve blocked, for that purpose.
————-
It goes without saying that anything about the details of this poll could
be objected-to, & then, if others support the objection, then discussion
would be called-for.

It’s always best to avoid the delay caused by a procedural vote, & so
hopefully there will be a consensus agreement. …or at least it will be
informally-obvious which position is supported or acceptable to the most
people, based on opinions expressed.

An RP(wv) vote would be a reluctant last-resort. Anyone could call for it
if consensus were adamantly refused & no position seemed to clearly have
more support or acceptance.

Hopefully none of that will be necessary, but it’s good to have it
mentioned for contingency.
————-
As the proposer of the poll, I should vote first, immediately at the
beginning of the voting-period. I don’t know if anyone will participate,
but, because there was participation in the previous poll, & because people
have suggested a PR poll, & because there’s no substitute for using the
electoral methods…then I’ll proceed on the assumption that there’s interest
& that there might be participation.

If the poll doesn’t happen, it won’t be because I didn’t try to start it.