[EM] Max Approval Margin Defeat (was Re: Margins Sorted Top-Ratings)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 02:03:09 PST 2024

Chris,

I just remember my default approval unlike yours has three levels ..
 Zero for unranked candidates, one for candidates ranked below the upper
cutoff, and two for candidates ranked above that cutoff .... this what
makes default approval the same as decloned Borda ... and is the approval I
have in mind for themax approval defeat margin method:

Lacking an undefeated candidate ... elect the winner W of the defeat pair
(W>L) that maximizes the difference between the approvals of W and L,
subject to the constraint that L repays W in two steps: L>X>W.

Sorry about the confusion!

fws