[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 234, Issue 13

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:20:09 PST 2024

Some people want every advantage they can take, & couldn’t care less about
honesty.

People have a way of finding out how to abuse a system, especially one in
which everything is at stake.

Honesty in politics, right?  Where is that to be found? Republicans?
Democrats? The media?

But it will suddenly appear in the elections?

We don’t have the worst conceivable voting system because of honesty. Was
Clinton being honest when he said that he fired Lani Guinier because
proportional-representation is antidemocratic?

Or maybe the North Dakota legislators were being honest when they said that
they banned rank-balloting & Approval to protect the people’s rights.

Systems are routinely gamed for advantage. Plurality is being consistently
gamed with the constant media-propaganda telling you that the Democrat &
Republican are your 2 choices.

…&, disregarding the fact that opponents will use whatever they can find— a
main criticism of Condorcet is it’s vulnerability to offensive strategy.
That argument would be effectively used against a vulnerable Condorcet
proposal or implementation.

I commend your trustingness about election-matters.

There are already, & there have been for about 35 years, Condorcet versions
that thwart & penalize offensive strategy. There are now beginning to be
versions that automatically probabilistically deter it.

Some of those methods are more briefly stated than Copeland’ s 2-stage
Condorcet-completion rule.

e.g. MinMax(wv) is a familiar, established proposal with the abovementioned
strategy properties. It’s definition?:

Elect the candidate whose greatest vote against hir in a defeat is the
least.

CW,Implicit-Approval’s completion rule is:

Elect the candidate ranked on the most ballots.

Vermont’s Condorcet completion rule is:

Elect the candidate topping the most rankings.

Usually top-cycles will have 3 candidates.  …all of whom beat everyone
outside their Smith-set. So normally the Smith set will all beat the same
number of candidates.

So Copeland is widely-criticized for its indecisiveness.

To publicly-propose Copeland is to ask for criticism & lead with your chin.

…& even if there might somehow not be indecisiveness, the winner of the
completion rule would be a random outcome with little relation to merit, &
with no strategy-deterrence or thwarting.

Merit? Beating more candidates sounds meritorious? So do the other
completion rules I described.  …& they’re decisive & most have good
strategy-properties.

Voting systems usually aren’t as they initially seem. I realize that EVC
isn’t going to propose a Condorcet method soon, but I hope that, when & if
you do, it will be based on a long period of thorough examination &
discussion.

I’m not trying to make trouble. I’m trying to help. So I’ve made these
suggestions, & I hope that EVC won’t be hasty about sticking with what
initially seemed like the best Condorcet proposal.

Might there be a reason for its criticism & unpopularity. Might the
single-winner reform community be right?