[EM] Autodeterrence introduction & definitions

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 10:45:16 PST 2024

I recently posted some autodeterrence suggestions, but I didn’t *introduce*
autodeterrence in that post, & I didn’t define my terms. So I’d like to do
that now:

…

The only meaningful objection to Condorcet is that it’s subject to
offensive strategy, by “buria” (offensive order-reversal) & by offensive
truncation.

…

The wv Condorcet methods, such as MinMax(wv) & Schulze, thwart & deter
offensive-strategy as I’ve described. But, as I’ve mentioned, because I
regard the elections as dichotomous, I’d use wv Condorcet as Approval, with
all-or-nothing voting, voting Unacceptables at bottom & Acceptables at
top…& maybe some or many lesser-evil voters would likewise vote Lesser-Evil
at top.

…

So maybe even wv Condorcet would retain some lesser-evil problem.

…

That’s why autodeterrence is desirable. It probabilistically deters
offensive strategy by making it more likely to backfire than to succeed.

…

Of course the merit of an autodeterrent method is measured by this ratio of
probabilities:

…

p(backfire)/p(succeed).

…

Forest Simmons & I have proposed a number of autodeterrent methods.

…

Let me state some definitions that I neglected to state before. Some are
already well-known, but I should state them all for completelness:

,,,

CW means Condorcet-winner, a candidate who pairwise-beats each of the
others. Voted CW is the CW according to the ballots. Sincere CW is the CW
under sincere-voting.

…

BF means Buriers’ Favorite.

…

Bus means the candidate under whom the buriers bury CW,  & who consequently
pairbeats CW.

…

CW, BF & Bus are the “principles” of the top-cycle.

…

There of course can be more than one Bus, because the CW could be buried
under several candidates who all pairbeat hir.

…

wv means winning-votes.  …the number of voters who vote for the defeater
over the defeated in a pairwise-defeat.

…

lv means losing-votes, the number of voters who vote for the defeated over
the defeated in a pairwise-defeat.

…

Pairwise-support for X means the number of voters voting X over Y in a
pairwise defeat of one over the other.

…

A candidaes’ Top means the Topcount, the number of voters top-ranking hir.

…

A candidates’s IA stands for Implicit-Approval, which means the number of
voters ranking hir.

…

A candidate’s Mid stands for Midcount, which means IA minus Topcount.  Mid
is relevant because, though IA is relevant, Top is unaffected by
offensive-strategy, & therefore spoils the usefulness of IA as a clue.

…

However Top is still a clue, because it suggests who is likely CW.

…

The Clues are the quantities that are used as indicators of who is the Bus.
They consist of Top, Mid, Borda, lv & wv..& maybe others.

…

The “Uses” are ways of using some of the clues to judge who is probably the
Bus.

…

So autodeterrent methods consist of, & can be denoted as:

…

Use(clue(s)).

…

I listed a number of autodeterrent proposals…some mine, some Forest’s.

…

GWAGL was Forest’s idea, & so was the 1st autodetrent proposal. So was Mid,
& the use of some of the other clues.

…

I should add that Borda of any kind, including Borda(<=) isn’t so useful
as-is, because it includes a part of the score based on Topcount.  …&, as I
mentioned, Topcount is unaffected by offensive-strategy & therefore dilutes
the relevance of a clue.

…

…&, contrary to what I suggested before, Borda, by itself, wouldn’t do.
Borda(=<)would result in lesser-evil voters top-ranking an evil.

…

So, as a clue, not as a stand-alone method, better would be Borda minus its
Topcount part.  …or, better yet, just use Mid instead of Borda.  …for when
only the top-cycle is looked-at, where (as is most likely) the one or more
cycles only consist of 3 candidates.

…

There’s no need to repeat my previous listing of autodeterrent proposals,
because, other than what I’ve said in this post, I’m not making any change
in those already-listed proposals.