[EM] "STAR voting..." paper by Wolk, Quinn & Ogren

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 08:53:29 PST 2024

 Thank you for posting this. A few things jump out to me.
They briefly discuss the advantages, but the 0 to 5 scoring does still seem fairly limited. They say that it conveys more information than a ranked ballot, but that's not something they've given an objective measure for. You can make a distinction between fewer candidates on a STAR ballot than on a ranked ballot, but you can indicate strength of preference. Amongst that, what's the measure of amount of information? Rob - you mention about whether rating is more intuitive than ranking. My general understanding is that for a small number of candidates, it's easier to rank, but for a large number it's easier to rate, as you just have to have a general opinion of each one rather than an exact pecking order of them all.
On pass/fail criteria, it's interesting that they consider the Equality criterion (where it should be possible to exactly cancel out a vote with an opposite one) to be one that should be passed completely, while generally saying that it's more about not failing any criterion badly. But also, some criteria are easier to pass than others. So by using this reasoning it's easy to hide behind quite a bad criterion failure. E.g., passing participation limits your options for voting methods, whereas I consider independence of clones to be a lot "cheaper". STAR fails independence of clones. In general, I'm not sure a method has to give much up to pass independence of clones.
And this also brings me to my next point - the simulation model. The voting method can change which candidates choose to stand, but I don't think this is modelled by them. STAR's clone failure could cause parties/factions to field two candidates in an attempt to  lock out the run-off.
I wouldn't call myself anti-STAR, but I'm not completely convinced by it as a method.
Toby