[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 235, Issue 30

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Feb 20 00:10:46 PST 2024

Robert's claim:"Cardinal methods demand too much tactical thinking from voters"All's I wanted to say is, if there are 3 or more candidates, then Cardinal methods *inherently* require some tactical consideration by the voter the minute they go into the voting booth.I really think that voters are partisans and are legitimately differently motivated than Olympic figure skating judges.  We're partisans and the reason we vote is to try to get our preferred candidate elected.  But our political interests may include preventing the election of someone we loathe and realistically fear may get elected.The unavoidable question is how much should a voter is how much should I score or approve my second-choice candidate?  If I score them too high (or Approve them), I reduce or lose my vote for my favorite.What if it turns out that the race was most competitive between my top two choices?  Then I'll regret Approving (or high scoring) my second-choice candidate. Especially if my less-preferred
 candidate wins But then what if it's a competitive race between my second-choice and the candidate I hate?  Then I'll regret *not* Approving (or low scoring) my second-choice candidate. Especially if my less-preferred candidate wins.I don't accept assurances from CES and Clay Shentrup that I should simply vote my sincere preferences and trust the system.Score Voting is a lot like Borda Count.  Borda, knowing how his score-like system was, invited responded to critique that his "system is only intended for honest men".But it shouldn't be. It should be intended for partisans that want to maximize their effect on an election.  We should be expected to vote in an exaggerated manner to increase our likelihood of furthering our political interests.But then we have to at least think about whether to Approve our second-choice. We don't wanna waste our vote approving our second-choice candidate and hurting our first choice.  But we also don't wanna harm our second-choice to defeat the c
 andidate we loathe.So that decision is early and example of tactical voting.  And there's no way to avoid it.  It's inherent to Cardinal systems.