[EM] Reply to an IRVist post on December 17th

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 14:15:22 PST 2024

I said:

No, it [your ballot] doesn't[count for your 2nd choice] , unless your 2nd
choice is still there. Oops !!! You &

Richie forgot to include the word "Maybe"

…

Michael Garman said:

…

Fine…it counts for your next highest choice still in the running. Which is

also a reasonable interpretation of the “next choice” language you cite.

Satisfied?

…

Does that person have any idea what he’s saying?

…

Say the election is between Best, Good, &Worst.

…

You rank Best>Good>Worst.

…

Good gets eliminated first, & then Best gets eliminated, & either hir
ballots don’t have a 2nd choice, or hir transfers go to Worst. According to
our friend here, now Good is no longer your 2nd choice. The elimination of
Good makes Worst your 2nd choice, & so FairVote’s promise is kept:  Your 2nd
choice, Worst is elected !!

…

Oh, but wait, it gets even better:

…

Worst isn’t only your 2nd choice now:  By our IRVist friend’s definition of
“choice”, now Worst becomes your 1st choice (because he’s the only
remaining candidate).

…

Congratulations !! You’ve elected your 1st choice, Worst !!!~

…

Ladies & Gentlemen of the jury: I present to you exhibit B, further
confirmation of the universal astounding dishonesty of the promotion of RCV.