[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 4 17:40:39 PDT 2024

Kristofer,

> Just to be sure I got what you were saying, this is in an imperfect
> information setting, right? The B and C factions don't know which of
> them have more first preferences than the other.

Yes.

> IMHO, that seems like a significant flaw, because it potentially turns
> party-neutral methods (IRV and STV) into something considerably closer
> to party list.

Not allowing truncation is always silly and unjustified.  GIGO.

I gather that historically preferential voting was introduced in
Australia so that the relatively disciplined and organised Labor Party
could be more easily defeated. If truncation was allowed then some lazy
anti-Labor voters might do that.  It continues to be justified (among
the few who even think about it) as being in the spirit of compulsory
voting (which I agree does more good than harm.)

The scenario I described with 3 factions and no voters having a sincere
second preference would be very rare and the apparent "flaw" of
preferential methods that meet Clone Winner and Dominant Coalition in
that situation is not one that I'm in favour of trying to address.

STV elections for seats in the Australian Senate are deliberately
"corrupted" to resemble Party List PR. The voter has the option of
voting for a party "above the line" which means that the voter blindly
votes that party's full "ticket" (determined before the election and
accessible to anyone interested).  Now if one votes "below the line" by
numbering boxes next to the names of individual candidates you are
allowed to partially truncate (but you still have to rank quite a few,
maybe 12 candidates).

All this unnecessarily gives the party machines  unjustified extra
power. They horse-trade among themselves as to where they'll direct
preferences that voters don't care and probably don't even know about.

Chris B.