[EM] Manipulability stats for (some) poll methods

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 28 16:14:05 PDT 2024

> Michael—you're right that it means favorite-burial (cutting the "head"
> off a ballot). The term is quite old, though (older than "favorite
> betrayal" or "favorite burial" I believe)
> <https://www.cambridge.org/core/product/identifier/S0003055400194481/type/journal_article>.

I don't like either term.  For me, "burial" refers to something a voter
does to a candidate in the hope that will cause that candidate to lose
to a candidate the voter prefers, and not just to any insincere
down-ranking.  So "favorite-burial" is  an oxymoron that Mike O. likes
to use.

"Favorite Betrayal" meaning to insincerely down-rank one's favourite, is
ok, but that could either be Compromise strategy (insincerely up-ranking
X  to decrease the chance that X will lose to a candidate you like less)
or Push-over (insincerely up-ranking X to increase the chance that X
will lose to say F that you like better, instead of F losing to some Y
that you like less).

An attempt was made to standardise the terminology here quite a while ago:

http://condorcet.org/emr/defn.shtml

> *burying*
> Insincerely ranking an alternative lower in the hope of defeating it.
> *compromising*
> Insincerely ranking an alternative higher in the hope of getting it
> elected.
> *push-over*
> The strategy of ranking a weak alternative higher than one's preferred
> alternative, which may be useful in a method that violatesmonotonicity
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090613041320/http://condorcet.org/emr/defn.shtml#monotonicity>
>
> *monotonicity*
> The property of a method where an alternative can never be made to
> succeed by being ranked lower on some ballots.  Doing this is using
> the "push-over
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090613041320/http://condorcet.org/emr/defn.shtml#push-over>"
> strategy.

The genius of  STAR Voting is that it apparently technically doesn't
"violate monotonicity", but it is vastly more vulnerable to Push-over
than IRV which does, as I've explained previously.

I find the question of whether there have been mistakes or exaggerations
or false claims made by the IRV promoters to be completely irrelevant
to, and separate question from, whether its adoption in the US should be
supported.

Of more concern to me are the details of the ballot rules and
restrictions. I think it is more democratic for it to be relatively easy
to get on the ballot so as to allow the voters a wider choice of
candidates. I understand that typically voters are limited to 7
different "ranking levels".  Well say there are 9 candidates and my two
least-preferred candidates are the two front-runners and I have a
preference between them. If I vote sincerely my vote is just as wasted
as if I had voted sincerely in FPP.

IRV then doesn't have Clone Independence.  One of the main points of
ranked-ballot versus FPP is to reduce the involuntarily wasted vote as
much as possible.

If such restrictive ballot rules are unavoidable, then I lose my
enthusiasm for IRV or Benham in favour of something with a truncation
incentive (and that is happy with equal-ranking if that isn't a problem
for the ballot rules) such as Smith//Approval (implicit).

Properly implemented Hare's  Compromise incentive is practically nothing
by comparison with that of FPP, and no-one in Australia notices it.  I
estimate it is also quite a bit weaker than that of STAR.  Pushover
strategy in Hare is relatively difficult and risky in Hare and as far as
I know it's never been tried in Australia. Whereas STAR is a "festival
of Push-over" farce/nightmare.

And while (like STAR) it fails Condorcet, it has a solid set of
"representativeness" criterion compliances that together can be thought
of as weakened Condorcet and are worth quite a lot.

They are Dominant Coalition (a better stronger version of Mutual
Majority that so of course implies it) and Dominant Mutual Third and
Condorcet Loser.   STAR only meets the last of those, the weakest.

Chris B.