[EM] Manipulability stats for (some) poll methods

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Apr 27 04:36:31 PDT 2024

Here are voter manipulability stats for some of the poll methods, using
James Green-Armytage's spatial model with 4 dimensions, 4 candidates and
99 voters. Each method is tested on 500k elections, with 32k attempts to
strategize per election.

The manipulability value is the fraction of elections in this model
where the method elected a unique winner, and voters who preferred
somebody else to the current winner could get that somebody elected by
changing their ballots. Note that it does *not* check strategic nomination.

I've prefixed entries that aren't actually part of the poll with an
asterisk. I'll explain later why I've included them. Entries prefixed
with a number sign are from JGA as my simulator doesn't support them.[1]

The simulator uses full ballots, so Smith//DAC is the same as
Smith//DSC. If truncation would make the method more resistant, that's
not reflected here.

0.698	*Borda
0.668	#Approval (from JGA)
0.545	Condorcet//Borda (Black)
0.480	Copeland//Borda (Ranked Robin)

0.417	Plurality
0.417	Smith//DAC
0.412	*BTR-IRV

0.350	Baldwin
0.333	Raynaud (Gross Loser Elimination)
0.333	Schulze(wv)
0.332	Minmax(wv)
0.321	Ranked Pairs(wv)

0.075	Woodall, Schwartz-Woodall
0.074	RCIPE
0.074	IRV
0.074	Benham

I've included Borda to show that my results are similar to James Green
Armytage's. (Compare also the results minmax results.) In addition, I've
included BTR-IRV to see how well it would do. Too bad it didn't do
better, though...

My simulator show higher manipulability for IRV and the Condorcet-IRV
hybrids than JGA's simulator did. I think this comes down to that my
simulator is more thorough and thus is able to uncover more
nonmonotonicity- and pushover-related strategies.

Finally, I'm working on the cardinal methods, but the devil's in the
details so it's taking a lot longer than expected. More about that when
I've solved it. But my preliminary tests put Smith-Range around 0.5 and
STAR as worse than this. Unnormalized (fixed scale) Range, though not a
poll method, even does worse than Borda. And if the preliminary tests
give some indication, all the Range/Score-based methods do worse than
Plurality.

-km

[1] Green-Armytage, James (2011). "Four Condorcet-Hare hybrid methods
for single-winner elections". Voting matters (29): p. 7;
https://www.votingmatters.org.uk/ISSUE29/I29P1.pdf