[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 22:59:33 PDT 2024

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 21:08 Richard, the VoteFair guy <
electionmethods at votefair.org> wrote:

> On 4/24/2024 1:46 PM, Chris Benham wrote:
>
>  > On 25/04/2024 4:04 am, Richard, the VoteFair guy wrote:
>  >> Here in Oregon we use a pen to fill in empty ovals on a paper ballot.
>
>  > So why not change to writing numbers in boxes?  Aren't the
>  > voters there numerate?
>
> Numerate?  Probably some aren't.
>
> Also remember some voters are reading the ballot in a non-English language!
>
> Also remember that ALL ballots are counted by machine.  And fast.  There
> isn't time to deal with handwriting issues.

I believe that the current idea is to use reliable machine-reading of the
handwritten numbers.

>  > (And wouldn't that use less paper?)
>
> Of course.  But asking voters to write numbers would be harder to "sell"
> to voters than "selling" ranked choice ballots (regardless of how they
> are counted).

You forgot to tell why you think so.

> I've heard Australians suggest boxes before.  THEY WILL NOT WORK HERE IN
> THE UNITED STATES!  For multiple reasons, including others I don't have
> time to explain.

How regrettable that you don’t have time to explain any valid reason why
written numbers won’t work in the United States.

I wasn’t going to start commenting on statements yet, but this time I
couldn’t resist saying something.