[EM] "Margins Sorted Approval" poll candidate

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:38:16 PDT 2024

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 12:07 PM Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If a single example can’t be found in which wv Condorcet does better than
> Approval-Sorted Margins, then of course I’ll admit that Approval-Sorted
> Margins is better.
>
> I have a few questions about Margins-Sorted-Approval:
>
> If I want to propose it to (say) a city-council or an initiative-committee
> or focus-group, someone will ask what it’s advantage is…in what way it’s
> better. What valuable property does it offer that other methods don’t?

It is more resistant to burial and defection.

> What’s the answer to that inevitable question?
>
> …& there’s the matter of motivation. What is it about double sorting that
> motivates it?

First of all, I think the name is something of a misnomer.

If all ranked candidates are approved in some way, the initial ordering is
not based on approval but rather on *strong preference*.

So you start with a ranking of candidates based on which candidates are
most strongly preferred. But we want to end up with list of candidates such
that each pair of candidates is in order based on their *pairwise* preferences.
Therefore we will have to rearrange the initial *strong preference* ordering
in some way, based on adjacent pairwise orderings. See below.

> It makes sense to start with Approval-ordering & then adjust to fix the
> most important pairwise contradictions by switching. But aren’t the *
> biggest* margins more important than the smallest ones? Then why fix the
> smallest-margin mis-orderings first? & what’s special about adjacency in
> the Approval-ordering? Isn’t the biggest pairwise contradiction most
> important even between candidates not adjacent in the Approval-ordering?
>
> …& why margins instead of wv, losing-votes, or any of the various measures
> of a pairwise-defeat? In my experience, wv has been the important
> defeat-measure for strategic protection.

Remember that here margins are *not* based on votes in pairwise contests
but rather in comparing the strong preferences for two consecutive
candidates in the ordered ranking.

Sorting the candidate list, based on pairwise contests, can be done by
several means. Upward bubble sort gives you DMC. Downward bubble sort gives
you something different. But either of those could move candidates far from
their original strong preference ranking.

Margin sort (that is, the margin of adjacent strong preference metrics for
pairwise-out-of-order consecutive candidates) is a variation on bubble sort
that locally minimizes the change from the original strong preference
rating.

> [...]
>> then that majority must have some way of voting that ensures x will not be
>> elected and does not require any of them to rank y equal to or over any
>> alternatives preferred over y.
>>
>> This definition is most similar to that of SDSC
>> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/SDSC>.
>> https://electowiki.org/wiki/Strong_Defensive_Strategy_criterion
>>

>> The answer to your first question (based on the definition I copied
>> above) is yes. That is obviously implied by its compliance with Double
>> Defeat. All that "majority" has to do is approve Y and not X. Double Defeat
>> says that a candidate that is pairwise beaten by a more approved candidate
>> can't win.
>>
>> The answer to your second question is yes if the other faction doesn't
>> approve the CW and no if it does.  Like in this old example:
>>
>> 49  A (sincere is A>B)
>> 24  B (the "sincere CW" but the faction may be defecting against C)
>> 27  C>B
>>
>> If the C>B voters approve B then the approval order is  B>A>C and since B
>> pairwise beats A and A pairwise beats C that order is final and B wins.
>> But if they don't then the approval order is A>C>B and that order is
>> final and A wins.
>>

>> The faction-sizes are kept as close together as possible, because equal
>> sizes is the middle about which the variation happens, & is probably the
>> most likely single configuration.
>>

>> I don't that is always a good idea. If the faction sizes are close
>> together then surely the risk for the Buriers of their strategy back-firing
>> would be a lot greater than if the "bus" faction is quite a bit smaller
>> than theirs. Also of course two large parties and one small one more
>> closely resembles the current political landscape.
>>
>> An example can be found where one particular method does better than
>> another.
>>
>> Good. I look forward to seeing your example where Winning Votes does
>> better than Approval Sorted Margins.
>>
>> I don't know the answer to your last question.
>>
>> Chris B.
>>
>> On 19/04/2024 6:56 am, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>>
>> 1) Does Margins-Sorted Approval meet Minimal-Defense?
>>
>> 2) Can offense-truncation by one faction take the win from a CW ranked in
>> 2nd place by the other faction?
>>
>> Answers for wv:  1) Yes. 2) No.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 14:17 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> An example can be found where one particular method does better than
>>> another.
>>>
>>> 3 candidates;
>>>
>>> CW, BF, & Bus
>>>
>>> (BF is buriers’ favorite. Bus 🚌 is the candidate under whom they bury
>>> CW.)
>>>
>>> To test wv Condorcet for burial deterrence, I checked 24 cases:
>>>
>>> All 6 faction-size orderings for the 3 candidates.
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> 4 ways for the middle CW’s voters to rank the other 2, with regard to

>>> BF