[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:31:53 PDT 2024

> Regarding "strategic burden," the goal should be for the (single-winner)
> election method to yield a result that best represents the voters,
> without any voters or organizations being able to use ballot-marking
> tactics that shift the winner to a different candidate.

By "shift the winner to a different candidate", do you mean with or without
counterstrategy? e.g. lots of Condorcet methods meet Minimal Defense, but
are vulnerable to burial, so it's often necessary to truncate your ballot.
If voters often apply this truncation strategy to make sure sincere
Condorcet winners are protected from burial, is that bad? Is it less bad
than other kinds of strategy? Is what matters just how *often* a system is
vulnerable to strategy, or how much this affects the quality of winners?
Does "the strategic burden is minimal" involve just how often strategy is
used, or also the simplicity or sincerity of the strategy?

Whether or not it's easy or hard to figure out the best tactic is not
> significant.  That's because it only takes one expert to figure out the
> best tactic and that tactic can be widely promoted.

In that case, would it be better to make the strategy very simple to work
out, so we don't have to rely on trusting party elites or experts' voting
recommendations (which could give political parties a lot of power)?