[EM] Depicting PR-STV in an issue space

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Fri Apr 19 00:30:54 PDT 2024

Users of STV usually say that for cases of a single seat, the next best
thing is the Alternative Vote (AV; IRV) but that does not mean that the
two systems are the same in principle. AV/IRV is an elimination count,
over which the voters have no direct control, and the mechanisms of
which may frustrate the voters order of choice. With conventional STV,
this "last past the post" feature of STV becomes less and less important
with more seats, giving a more proportional count, so that most voters
elect their first preferences, and then mostly their highest preferences.

A random STV election should take the form of a normal distribution. It
is analogous to giving local communities numbers of seats in proportion
to their size. Thus an isolated rural area may only gain one seat, at
one end of the distribution (next to the origin of the graph) whereas,
at one time, in the UK, Leeds would have got perhaps 9 seats.

Arithmetically challenged Winston Churchill made the best electoral
reform aphorism: I would rather be one-fifth of the Members for the
whole of Leeds than one Member for a fifth of Leeds. (Mentioned by Joe
Rogaly in Parliament for the People.)

Regards,

Richard Lung.