[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Apr 18 16:44:14 PDT 2024

On 4/18/2024 1:17 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > There doesn't need to be a fixed proportion of failures, does there?

You are correct.

What I'm taking into account are two factors:

* How deeply down into the pairwise counts does the method look?

* How convoluted is the counting process?

The Schulze method looks very deeply into the pairwise counts.  However,
its counting process is so convoluted that it's very difficult to
comprehend.

I suspect that that convolution causes lots of IIA failures.

Research is needed to measure failure rates.

I really don't know what those measurements will reveal.

Interestingly, Yee diagrams serve as a simple way to measure some IIA
failure rates.  They clearly reveal the IIA failures of IRV.

We need something even better to identify and measure the failure rates
of better counting methods.

The graph I generated and referred to is just a beginning.  We need lots
more research that measures failure RATES.  Just looking at
pass-versus-fail checkboxes is not looking deep enough.

Then we will know more about the failures for which we do not have names.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy