[EM] STV^1

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 14:18:05 PDT 2024

 If a voter's lower ranks exclude candidates as much as higher ranks count in their favour, then I can't see how the result will end up looking anything like proportional representation, which I believe is still your goal. Take a simple case with two parties (or factions as parties don't need to be explicit), the larger of which has 2/3 of the support and the smaller 1/3. The candidates from the smaller party will be at the top on 1/3 of the ballots, and in a normal PR method would get about a third of the seats. But with this binomial count, they would be excluded and more besides by the 2/3 ranking them at the bottom.
Toby