[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Apr 18 11:43:19 PDT 2024

Chris B., thanks for your questions!  Here are my answers:

On 4/17/2024 11:58 PM, Chris Benham wrote:
 > I have trouble understanding the motivation behind "RCIPE". ...

RCIPE -- Ranked Choice Including Pairwise Elimination -- is a compromise
method.

It inherits lots of the cloneproofness of IRV because that's the backup
elimination process when an elimination round does not have a pairwise
losing candidate.

The elimination of pairwise losing candidates causes RCIPE to seldom
fail the Condorcet criterion and other "majority" criteria.  It took
some head scratching to discover a case in which RCIPE fails the
Condorcet criterion.  (As I recall Kristofer gets credit for finding
such a case.)

Chris B., all of your concerns seem to be about the "pass" or "fail"
categorization of methods.

I regard HOW OFTEN failures occur to be much more important than a
checkbox that says "yes" or "no" failures of this kind NEVER occur.

Visually this perspective is conveyed by measuring failure rates:

http://www.votefair.org/clone_iia_success_rates.png

About this graph: Under the simulation conditions of these measurements
the RCIPE method has zero clone failures.  In real elections there can
be a few clone failures compared to IRV.  Those few failures don't
concern me.

It's easy to overlook the many failures that do not fit within NAMED
failure types.  Those unnamed kinds of failures are being ignored!

For example, clone failures and Local IIA failures are just two
categories within the broad category of IIA failures.

This is why I presume the Schulze method fails the various unnamed IIA
criteria in order to have zero clone failures.

Just because those increased kinds of failures don't have names doesn't
mean they should be ignored!

 > I find this all very odd, and I'm not sure what you are "buying" in
comparison with plain Hare (aka IRV).

The payoff is that RCIPE would not have failed in Burlington and Alaska!
  That's huge.

Avoiding any failures in REAL elections is what I'm "buying" by
advocating RCIPE instead of IRV.

Another difference from IRV is about what FairVote calls "overvotes."
RCIPE counts them correctly.  That could become a huge deal in the
upcoming Portland election for mayor -- where two or more marks in the
same "choice" column will be ignored as if those marks were not on the
ballot.  If the race is close, that counting error could cause the wrong
candidate to win.  (This counting error is less likely to affect STV
election results for Portland city council members because winning the
second seat instead of the first seat is not a big deal.)

Clarification: I regard IRV as a steppingstone to RCIPE, so I have
supported adopting IRV here in Oregon.  I dislike the misrepresentations
that come from the FairVote organization, but I'm not using that
organization's flaws as reasons to fully reject IRV.  (We have to crawl
and walk before we can run.)

 > Why do you think that RP(wv) and Schulze are significantly different
from each other?

Schulze is much more difficult to understand.  That's important in this
poll which is supposed to be about what can be adopted for use in real,
governmental elections.

 > And why do you think that MinMax(wv) is better than either?  Doesn't
it fail Smith and Clone Independence?

See above about my lack of concern about the difference between "never"
and "almost never."

 > Why do you think Woodall is better than Benham?
 > What is the (or your) definition of "Schwartz-Woodall"?
 > And what do you think is the positive point of it compared with plain
Woodall?

I don't recall what I was thinking during every detail of my ranking
process.

Broadly my thinking is:

* I'm a big fan of pairwise vote counting.

* I recognize that IRV's flaw is that the candidate with the fewest
transferred votes is not always the least popular -- as demonstrated in
Burlington and Alaska.

* I dislike Borda being any part of a method because it requires honest
voting to yield fair results.  (Honestly, honesty doesn't happen in
elections.)

* Approval voting requires tactical voting.  There's no way to avoid it.
  I know that Approval fans disagree.  Yet I assure them that when I
have to make a decision between approval and disapproval I have to do
the equivalent of mentally flipping a coin.

* I strongly dislike score/rating ballots for single-winner methods
because they are vulnerable to tactical voting.  Specifically, it's
impossible to know whether a ballot is from a person with strong
religious beliefs or a person who is acting like a "drama queen" (or
whatever the modern name is for this concept).  This tactical
vulnerability is important in single-winner elections.

* I do agree that score/rating ballots could be useful in multi-winner
elections where strength of preference is worthy of being considered
when there are interactions between who wins each seat.  But this poll
isn't about multi-winner elections.  And governmental elections need to
adopt single-winner methods first.  Only later will voters and
legislators be ready to begin learning subtle concepts such as
interactions between seat winners.

* STAR ballots are a dead-end ballot type.  (Always six columns, even
when there are three or four candidates.  And always with the star icon,
no thanks!)

Again, thank you Chris for your questions.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy