[EM] re HG Wells

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Apr 13 12:18:39 PDT 2024

"I happen to agree with Wells’s assessment of the merits of STV, but I
wouldn’t dare to claim that I know beyond doubt that it’s beyond a
shadow of doubt the perfect way to vote — or that one exists."

Neither does Wells. It's like due process (or scientific law), something
beyond reasonable doubt. Not to say what we have ample reason to believe
is true, and ample reason to believe non-transferable voting is
defective, is the more irresponsible.

Look at social choice theory with 70 years of skepticism and its vacuous
verdicts that there is no perfect election system -- as if anyone
thought there was.

Regardfs,

Richard Lung.