[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Apr 13 08:43:10 PDT 2024

On 04/13/2024 10:57 AM EDT Closed Limelike Curves <closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com> wrote:

> If it's incredibly close, vote honestly.

But that doesn't necessarily serve my political interests.  Again, this example demonstrates that:

3 candidates:

  L => Left candidate
  C => Center candidate
  R => Right candidate

100 voters:

   - 34 Left voters:
   --- 23 ballots: L:5 C:1 R:0
   ---  4 ballots: L:5 C:0 R:1
   ---  7 ballots: L:5 C:0 R:0

   - 29 Center voters:
   --- 15 ballots: L:1 C:5 R:0
   ---  9 ballots: L:0 C:5 R:1
   ---  5 ballots: L:0 C:5 R:0

   - 37 Right voters:
   --- 17 ballots: L:0 C:1 R:5
   ---  5 ballots: L:1 C:0 R:5
   --- 15 ballots: L:0 C:0 R:5

Score totals:

 Left   = 34x5 + 15 +  5  = 190
 Center = 29x5 + 23 + 17  = 185
 Right  = 37x5 +  9 +  4  = 198

With Score or FPTP, Right wins.
With STAR or IRV, Left wins.
With Condorcet, Center wins.

What should the Center voters do to best realize their political interests?  What should the Right voters, who liked Center better than Left, do to best realize their political interests?

And, again, how do I know, in advance, whether my favorite candidate is a front runner or not?

Lastly, how is this STAR thing *not* tactical voting?  If I vote non-tactically, I might just be screwing myself as demonstrated above.

r b-j

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.