[EM] Condorcet methods and Hare versus Median Ratings methods like Majority Judgement and Bucklin

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:26:56 PDT 2024

> Finally, I'm not sure if Approval converges to anything useful in the
> presence of a sincere cycle. I would imagine that the strategic voters
> would chase each other through the cycle.

In real life, or in models? The answer to "what will approval actually do"
depends on which (if any) of those models is correct.

I'd conjecture every well-designed voting system converges, under plausible
models of strategic voting, to something that looks basically like a
maximal lottery. The perfect-group-strategy model predicts a maximal
lottery. I'm not sure what other models predict, but I'm guessing they'll
say approval (or score, or most Condorcet methods) will produce very
similar results.

But if nothing else, every strategic model of voters is clearly incomplete,
because some voters are honest. My main reason for supporting score is that
if we add in some honest voters, it can give us better results than
Condorcet.

round and round and round it goes. Where it stops, nobody knows!

Funnily enough, that's also how a maximal lottery behaves. ;) Choosing
candidates at random from a sincere cycle probably wouldn't be that bad a
system. (Hell, it's arguably better than breaking the ties
deterministically—less bias, so it'll tend to cancel out across election
cycles or within a legislature!)

> If I'm wrong, it would be interesting to take a leaf out of the
> revelation principle book and create a ranked method that does directly
> what Approval would do through strategy, and see what its
> characteristics are. E.g. is it monotone?

Unfortunately, maximal lotteries aren't monotone. :(

On the plus side, they somehow satisfy participation, which I count as a
miracle.