[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Apr 12 11:38:24 PDT 2024

------ Original message------From: Closed Limelike CurvesDate: Fri, Apr 12, 2024 14:25To: Michael Ossipoff;Cc: Chris Benham;James Gilmour;Kevin Venzke;election-methods at lists.electorama.com;robert bristow-johnson;Subject:Re: [EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR> Also worth noting STAR is good because it makes strategy require more-than-zero thinking. Anyone with a pulse can figure out the best strategy for score within 5 seconds,My goodness, I certainly disagree with that.How high do I score my second-favorite candidate (or my lesser-evil candidate)?> but the strategy for STAR isn't immediately obvious, so people fall back on giving their honest preferences.And I have shown here a counter-example where that leads to a spoiled election and where tactical scoring in STAR can get voters a better result (given their preferences as marked on the ballot).> (For example, in Alaska Republicans failed to work out their best strategic vote was Begich > Palin >Peltola.)Yes.  That's well establishe
 d, and from those numbers we can easily show a scenario for how STAR would mis-perform as much as IRV.