[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Apr 11 05:32:52 PDT 2024

I guess this is evidence that Michael has plonked me.Powered by Cricket Wireless------ Original message------From: Michael OssipoffDate: Wed, Apr 10, 2024 21:42To: Chris Benham;Cc: Forest Simmons;Greg Dennis;James Gilmour;Kevin Venzke;Kristofer Munsterhjelm;Toby Pereira;election-methods at lists.electorama.com;robert bristow-johnson;Subject:Re: Hare (aka IRV) versus STAROr is the problem of that an acceptable runoff-loser knocking the acceptable runoff-winner out of the runoff there in STAR too? That hadn’t occurred to me. If it’s so, it’s another pitfall of STAR’s runoff.On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 18:26 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com> wrote:On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 18:04 Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    Michael wrote:

        But STAR is better than Hare because:

        It retains some amount Score’s merit.

      No it doesn't.   Score meets Favorite Betrayal and Participation.
      STAR trashes those just for Condorcet Loser. I said “some”, not “all”.e.g. If there are unacceptable candidates, then just give max to the acceptables, & zero to the unacceptables.IRV? Try to rank the acceptables in order of winnability. …trying & hoping to match the ranking-order of the other preferrers of some of your acceptables.Questionable guesswork. An intractable strategic morass.

      I could even make up a new criterion just to encapsulate the
      horror of STAR.

      The Favourite Ultra-Betrayal Criterion:

      *Voters should never have any strategic incentive to vote their
      sincere favourite as low as possible*.
      Yes,, & isn’t that true with *any* runoff? It occurred to me too, I don’t like it. I much prefer Score to STAR.  … completely reject runoff with Approval.  …unless a jurisdiction insists on it.I much prefer Approval to Score,  for minimalness & unarbitrariness.
      Hare should be much easier to sell to anyone with any intelligence
      or common sense because STAR is obviously
      so silly and arbitrary.See above.

      Where as Hare just seeks to replace the Single Non-Transferable
      Vote with the Single Transferable Vote, keeping compliance
      with Plurality, Dominant Candidate, Clone-Loser, Later-no-Harm and
      Later-no-Help but losing Participation and Mono-Raise to gain
      Dominant Coalition (and therefore Majority for Solid Coalitions)
      and Dominant Mutual Third and Clone-Winner.

      It has what Woodall referred to as a "maximal set of properties".
      It's ok not to like it if you are a fundamentalist about some
      criterion
      compliance it doesn't have (like Condorcet or FBC) but not to
      suggest that complete garbage like STAR is in some way preferable.

      Chris Benham

    On 11/04/2024 5:04 am, Michael Ossipoff
      wrote:

          On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 17:31
            Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au>
            wrote:

          [quote]
          Score is Approval with a  "I
            wish to weaken the effect of my vote for the sake of being
            more sincere/expressive" box/button.
          [/quote]

          If that’s how you want to
            vote in Score, then suit yourself.

          The right use of Score:

          Use only min & max
            ratings. i.e. Use Score as Approval.

          …with the difference that,
            when it’s uncertain whether or not a candidate deserves
            approval, you can give hir partial approval, by an
            intermediate point-rating.

          Nice, sometimes convenient,
            because, otherwise, the only way to give someone partial
            approval would be probabilistically.

          But Score loses Approval’s
            absolute minimalness, & unique unarbitrariness.

          Much better to let the
            voters deal with such things for themselves with the
            absolutely minimal handtool, than to use some arbitrary
            & (somewhat or greatly) complicated definition, rule
            & count. …with the consequent expense & count-fraud
            vulnerability.

                 So it is strategically equivalent to
                  Approval while being more complicated and less fair.

          More complicated, yes.

          I strongly oppose a runoff for Approval, but
            some jurisdictions might insist on one.

          …likewise Score.

          It’s true that it somewhat increases
             Condorcet-efficiency & Social-Utility (SU), but it
            brings great strategy-complication, including the loss of
            FBC compliance.

          But STAR is better than Hare because:

          It retains some amount Score’s merit.

          It’s much, much simpler than Hare, resulting
            in much better count-fraud security.

          It’s much less expensive to administer &
            implement than Hare.

          It’s much simpler to describe its workings
            when proposing it.

                  And Approval has a quite good reputation here because
                  it meets Favorite Betrayal  (aka FBC) and compared
                  with FPP the winner
                  will strongly tend to have higher social utility and
                  be much more likely  a sincere Condorcet winner.
                  Also, and not unrelatedly,
                  it has a bias toward centrists that some people think
                  is wonderful.

                  But some people seem to think that adding a Top-Two
                  Runoff (automated in the case of STAR) to Score (to
                  make STAR) is just
                  a harmless little gimmick that just makes the method
                  "a bit more accurate", brings it into compliance with
                  Condorcet Loser
                  and so must make it more "Condorcet efficient".
                  ("Sky-high" according to CLC here).

                  But actually it makes the method profoundly different
                  and very bad. It seems to me that the inventors of
                  STAR must have been
                  motivated by three priorities:

                  (1) the method isn't  Hare,

                  (2) the method, in a purely technical and completely
                  useless way, apparently meets Mono-raise (aka
                  Monotonicity).

                  (3) subject to being saleable to and understood by
                  not-so-deep thinkers, the method be as bad as
                  possible.

                  From the "equal-vote" website:    https://www.equal.vote/

                Ranked
                    Choice Voting, where voters rank candidates in order
                    of preference has been lauded as a solution, but in
                    elections where the third candidate is actually
                    competitive, vote-splitting
                    remains a serious issue and
                    RCV only offers a marginal improvement compared to a
                    primary and  general election with Choose-One
                    Plurality voting.

                Luckily,
                    many voting methods are can effectively prevent
                    vote-splitting. As it turns out, when voters can
                    weigh in on each candidate individually, when all
                    ballot data is counted, and when voters are able to
                    show equal preference, vote-splitting can be
                    eliminated. All voting methods which do this pass
                    the Equal Vote
                    Criterion,
                    including STAR Voting,...

                The "Equal Vote Criterion" is just  propaganda
                nonsense:   https://electowiki.org/wiki/Equal_Vote_Criterion
                The
                    Equal Vote Criterion or Equality
                    Criterion is a voting method
                    criterion which
                    requires that a voting method ensure that every
                    voter may cast a vote which is as powerful as a vote
                    cast by any other voter. Voting methods which pass
                    the Equal Vote Criterion do not exhibit vote-splitting or the
                    "Spoiler Effect," ensuring that every vote can cast
                    an equally
                    weighted vote.
                Choose-One
                    Plurality Voting (First Past the Post) and Instant
                    Runoff Voting (often referred to as Ranked Choice
                    Voting) do not satisfy the Equal Vote Criterion.

                This is just dishonest blather. If anything meets this
                very vague and confused "criterion" IRV (aka Hare)
                certainly does.

                The classic scenario that motivated some people get
                negative about Hare (and also methods like Min-Max
                Margins):

                49 Bush
                24 Gore
                27 Nader>Gore
                Gore>Bush 51-49,   Bush>Nader 49-27,
                  Nader>Gore 27-24.

                  Hare eliminates Gore and elects Bush, so the Nader
                  voters whose Gore> Bush preference was strong had
                  incentive to use the Compromise
                  strategy and vote Gore>Nader ("betraying" their
                  sincere favourite).  If the method was Approval they
                  could have approved both Nader and
                  Gore, preventing the election of Bush without having
                  to vote their sincere favorite below equal-top.

                  But in this type of scenario STAR does no better than
                  Hare. The Nader voters would have incentive to give
                  Nader zero points.

                  "Traditionally" Hare's  vulnerability to Push-over
                  strategy has said to be a result of it's failure of
                  Mono-raise.  But STAR is much more vulnerable
                  to Push-over.

                  Say you are sure that your favourite will make the
                  final two. In that case then you have incentive to
                  give every candidate that you are sure your
                  favourite can beat 4 or 5 stars.  If 5 stars then you
                  are relying on you favourite winning the runoff
                  without your help, but if 4 stars then you might
                  fail to get one of the predicted sure-loser turkeys
                  into the final.

                  In a Hare Push-over strategy scenario, the strategists
                  rely on their favourite winning the runoff against
                  their own votes, i.e. with their votes supporting
                  the turkey against their favourite. This makes it much
                  more risky (more likely to backfire) and difficult to
                  coordinate than is the case with STAR.

                  The equal-vote site has a link to a quite ok video on
                  the Favorite Betrayal Criterion.  I find that weird
                  and misleading, because STAR badly fails FBC.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKAScORevQ

                  From https://www.starvoting.org/

                  Why
                    STAR Voting?
                  Voting
                      reform is the keystone. A single cause with the
                      potential to empower us to be more effective on
                      every other issue we care about.

                      Honesty
                          is the best strategy. Strategic voting is not
                          incentivized.

                      Even if
                          your favorite can’t win, your vote helps
                          prevent your worst case scenario.

                      Highly
                          accurate, no matter how many
                          candidates/parties are in the race.

                I'm not sure exactly what "accurate" is supposed to
                mean, but I refute the suggestion that these claims are
                more true of STAR than they are of Hare.

                In the poll I will vote STAR below Hare and Approval and
                all the Condorcet methods.

                Chris