[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 00:37:29 PDT 2024

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 23:45 Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Have the nominations closed?

Yes, at 5:14:59 GMT, April 12th.

Not that I want to nominate another method.

> There has been very little electioneering, with I think most of the
> nominated methods not even being mentioned.

Yes, we weren’t given any information on most of the nominees. People
should have told the advantages/merits of their nominees.

> Some haven't even been explained let alone discussed or promoted.

Exactly. That’s why I ranked most of them all together at the same
rank-position. The ones I know about & like ranked in order of merit, then
the ones that I don’t know equal-ranked, & then, below them, the ones I
know that I don’t like. Pluraity was at bottom, as everyone agrees, & so
there was no reason to rank it.

> When does voting close?

It closed at 5:14:59 GMT, April 11th. The moment nominations ended, the
voting-period started. I voted about 1 minute after the start of the voting
period.

But, I initially specified a month-long voting period. If that’s too long
people can move to shorten it. But the long voting period could allow some
time for explanation of methods & their special merits.

Shall we say that votes can be changed throughout the month-long
voting-period? If anyone moves to shorten it, we could discuss that. If it
were moved (& seconded?), then maybe people would like to choose the
duration that is the median of the voted suggestions.

But given the absence of explanation & advocacy for the unfamiliar methods,
maybe the month-long voting-period is a good thing.

My duration specifications were meant as default suggestions, changeable by
moving for a vote. …at any time, of course.