[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Filip Ejlak tersander at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 07:03:04 PDT 2024

First thing: it's surprising how all the options that have been mentioned
are single-winner methods, despite the poll subject not being worded in
such a restrictive way. Are multi-winner options allowed as well, or should
this be a different poll? Because it needs to be said that *every
legislative election needs proportional representation*. I guess any
single-winner method, no matter how good, will be bad in comparison with a
PR method. So if multi-winner options were allowed in the poll, I would
nominate *STV *(a Condorcet-compliant variant would be better if there was
any polynomial one with good recognition; an optional indirect element -
like GVT, but strongly improved - would also be nice).

And speaking of single-winner methods, in my opinion *Woodall* and
*Benham* seem
to be the best, at least among the well-known ones. While Woodall
(especially Schwartz Woodall) is perhaps marginally better, Benham is so
easy to explain (and it's a very obvious/natural way to make IRV actually
good) that it should be seriously considered by voting reform campaigners.
So I'd like to nominate these two.