[EM] Is autodeterrence bad? (+STAR fails hyperchicken catastrophically)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 08:38:17 PDT 2024

 I think one problem of burial-resistant methods is that they assume the electorate are aware of the consequences of it and will act accordingly. I think it might be a bit optimistic to expect the average voter to behave any differently using any method that uses a specific ballot type. Using a ranked ballot, if A and B are the frontrunning candidates, then supporters of A might rank B bottom because it's the obvious thing to do (which has been pointed out on here before I believe). Do you think the adoption of a specific Condorcet method will prevent that? I'm not convinced.
Also, if there are two frontrunning candidates, A and B, it's quite likely anyway that supporters of A will see B as the worst candidate anyway, below the ones they know very little about. So it wouldn't really even be an act of burial, and therefore honest voting behaviour could cause a non-entity to win, because this is what burial-resistant methods do.
I've said this before, but possibly the best solution for a Condorcet method would to be to use rated ballots. In this case B is less likely to be buried by the A supporters, because they would be likely to score the non-entity candidates 0 as well.
Toby