[EM] St. Louis and Pushover (Re: Reply to Rob regarding RCV)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Sep 30 08:16:35 PDT 2023

On 2023-09-30 10:07, C.Benham wrote:
> Rob,
>
>> A question for Chris (anyone who cares to answer), what's the best
>> explanation of pushover at a public URL that seems reasonably academically
>> rigorous (e.g. something that seems like it would pass muster as a citation
>> on English Wikipedia)?
>
> Blake Cretney (who used to be active here) had a web-page
> ("condorcet.org" I think it was called)
> that is unfortunately now extinct. I regret not copying and storing the
> definitions/explanations that
> were there.

It's still available on the Internet Archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090713234702/http://www.condorcet.org:80/emr/defn.shtml

The push-over definition says: "The strategy of ranking a weak
alternative higher than one's preferred alternative, which may be useful
in a method that violates monotonicity."

> SCORE is similar.  There one can choose between maximising the chance
> that a weak candidate will get in to the final two,
> or weakening your vote for the weak candidate to just below maximum (4
> instead of 5) so as to help your favourite win the
> top-two pairwise comparison.

Do you mean STAR? Score voting (Range voting) is monotone.

-km