[EM] Fwd: Ranked Pairs

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Sep 24 10:41:34 PDT 2023

Hi Colin,

Le dimanche 24 septembre 2023 à 07:41:45 UTC−5, Colin Champion <colin.champion at routemaster.app> a écrit :
> Kevin – thanks for this helpful reply. I'm inclined to favour viewing a tie as two
> half-voters with opposed preferences. I admit that this can only be a rule of thumb,
> but I find it quite persuasive. After all, the whole point of ranked voting is that
> voters start out, I assume, with nebulous cardinal judgements in their heads, and
> that turning these judgements into rankings puts them onto a common basis (albeit
> with loss of information) which allows them to be meaningfully combined. The WV rule
> could easily undermine the premise of this procedure.

I understand this as an abstract ideal. Something jarring to me is that the practical
consequence of converting equal preferences into half-votes would vary a lot based
on what the base method is. Under IRV it wouldn't do anything. (But maybe you don't
find that IRV conforms to "the whole point of ranked voting.")

> I believe that asymmetric treatment of ties in the Borda count leads quite directly
> to errors of the sort I described, but I don't know if this is widely accepted.

Isn't it pretty clear that symmetric treatment of ties under Borda results in a
practically unusable method? In terms of strategic dilemmas it's like margins on
steroids.

I wonder if the errors you mean are defined precisely enough to say.

> It's true that Darlington models ties as genuine expressions of indifference. In
> practice ties can mean almost anything; indifference, laziness, ignorance... Quite
> possibly voting methods which work well for one sort of tie will work less well for
> another. The result I produced myself is probably genuine, and indicates that WV is
> more accurate than margins for mandatory truncation; but I was wrong to suppose that
> it could be interpreted more generally since it omits the effect which is most
> likely to work against WV.
>
> As for the positive arguments you put forward, well they might justify a rule of
> thumb but I wouldn't find them compelling.

Yes, I offered a rule of thumb that leads to a heuristic called WV. There can be
other rules of thumb and other heuristics, and if they test in simulations as having
low strategic incentives (especially low compromise incentive) then I will advocate
those methods, too.

I left out talk of my own simulations, but compromise incentive is a focus of mine.

> I don't find the Condorcet principle
> persuasive on its own merits (and do not believe it generally sound), but I accept
> it as a working principle because I don't know any other way of obtaining simple
> accurate voting methods under a spatial model.

I would agree that Condorcet itself shouldn't be taken as a first principle.

It sounds like you would advocate Condorcet as the best heuristic available to
identify the best outcome when voters are sincere under a spatial model.

I would advocate Condorcet because it makes the ballot a more effective agent to
represent the voter's interests.

Kevin
votingmethods.net