[EM] Ranked Pairs

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sun Sep 17 01:25:04 PDT 2023

Michael - I don't think I understand everything you're saying. I was
referring to RP (margins), which I believe is the form in which Tideman
specified it, and I assumed that truncation was a mixture of laziness
and ignorance. (Actually the simulation I referred to assumed mandatory
truncation, which I think is common in the US.) I don't hold any brief
for RP; on the contrary I much prefer minimax (also margins).
    I do indeed think that voters will have difficulty in rank-ordering
lots of candidates, or even in examining and choosing between them. I
hoped that the primary I proposed would make the best of voters who were
unable to assess the entire field, since if they voted for someone
they'd heard of, and that candidate got eliminated, then their vote
would be transferred to someone they might like, even if they didn't
realise it.
    Colin