[EM] Condorcet Meeting: Narrowing the Field

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sat Sep 2 00:05:21 PDT 2023

The sort of solution I had in mind was: reduce the 500 candidates to 36
by administrative means; reduce the 36 to 6 by a primary; hold a
Condorcet election with 6 andidates. The same answer applies if you
replace 500 by 5 million; the problem is to devise an electoral system
which doesn't start from a favourable assumption on the number of
candidates.
    If you sufficiently dislike administrative means, then you will need
an ingenious scheme like Toby's; I view them as a necessary evil.
       CJC