[EM] Favorability Sorted Ranked Pairs

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 09:48:44 PDT 2023

Here's something in the same spirit that can be done.

Initialize with the strongest pair c1>c2.

Now suppose c2>c3 is the next strongest pair, and that c1>c3 is also a
valid pairwise defeat.  Then since the second strongest pair is
transitively consistent with the previous progress ... we incorporate it to
get

C1>c2>c3

We skip over the Pairs that cannot be entirely & consistently accomodated
into the transitive chain.

It takes O(n^2) steps to check (and reject or incorporate) each of the n^2
pairs. So altogether O(n^4) steps ... typically drastically fewer steps.

Is this a maximal chain?

Yes! If another candidate C could by itself be accomodated into the chain
H>....>T, then why did we skip over both H>C and C>T when those two pairs
came up in the sequence of pairs?

Now what is the significance of what we have accomplished?

Suppose we reversed the chain by swapping it end for end.  That would
reverse every defeat pair in the sequence of incorporated Pairs.

Suppose the cost of reversing the j_th pair is set at 1/2^j.

Then the cost of reversing the chain we have constructed is maximal.  It
would be cheaper to reverse any other maximal chain.

Think of the j_th pair as a magnetic dipole of strength 2^(-j). We  have
constructed the chain of maximal magnetic moment out of the Lego's we were
given ... the moment is (kind of) a measure of how much torque it would
take to rotate it in a uniform field of unit strength. [To be
approximately correct, we would have to connect the dipoles side by side
rather than lengthwise]

Anyway, the head of a maximal transitive chain of candidates like this is
(by definition) a Banks candidate.

This version of Ranked Pairs  is extremely easy to carry out in practice,
because in practice the top cycle has only three members of Banks to
consider. The head of the strongest of the three Pairs will be the winner
we are looking for.

fws