[EM] Summability criterion: do I have this right?

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 20:17:16 PDT 2023

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this topic, and thanks Kristofer for
fixing up my previous inaccurate summary on electowiki.  After Kristofer
made his changes, I followed up with some shuffling of the prose in the
body of the article.  It's far from perfect, but I think the article is
better than it was last week:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Summability_criterion

We should also consider making similar changes over on English Wikipedia,
since that article hasn't gotten a lot of love since I restored it in
January 2022.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summability_criterion

I suspect I'm not the only one who has conflated the "Summability
criterion" and the "Consistency criterion".  Here's a link to the latter:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Consistency_criterion
If I'm right, it may be useful to explain the relationship between
"consistency" and "summability" to electowiki readers.

Even as a longtime advocate for Condorcet compliance, I have to concede
that approval voting beats strict Condorcet winner compliance with regards
to consistency and simplicity.  It's much easier to imagine real-time
results consumable by mainstream voters from talking-head newscasters as
they report on election night than it is to imagine what this looks like
with methods that fail the consistency criterion.

Rob