[EM] Summability criterion: do I have this right?

James Faran jjfaran at buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 6 21:26:16 PDT 2023

I'm not certain about the second item.  My worry is the following method that someone must have thought of before me and rejected.

Given any single ballot, we can use it to create the pairwise matrix.  The entries will be +1, 0, or -1. From that pairwise matrix we can reconstruct the preference order given on the ballot. Concatenate all such pairwise matrices. This "summary", an n by n by v array, has size on the order of n^2*v, where n is the number of candidates and v the number of voters. The combination of these is by concatenation in the "v" direction of the array.  This is quadratic in n (just as good as a pairwise method) and linear in v (pairwise methods are logarithmic in v). Plurality is linear in n and logarithmic in v (when v gets bigger we just have to increase the number of digits used to describe the totals). The point is that this method transfers complete ballot information, yet clearly is not a method one would want to use.  And we certainly, in avoiding discussion of polynomial growth, don't want to suddenly need to explain logarithmic growth.

As v has a tendency to get bigger than n, I think "polynomial in n" and "logarithmic in v" might be a good standard.  (A rough calculation leads me to believe this method beats just listing the number of ballots of each of the n! types when (n-2)! > v, so is only really a help when n is large.  For 10^7 voters, I think n=14 might do it.)  All in all, as it stands the second point is good enough. We'd just want to avoid responding to a "What does that mean?" question with "You don't want to know," or "You wouldn't understand." However, for studying the question, a more precise definition is needed, lest every method be "summable".  Should the amount of calculation time needed to analyze the "summary" come into it?

In item 3., perhaps "combined in any order" would work.  In my mind that covers both associativity and commutativity.

Sorry if none of this makes sense.  Late night thoughts.

Jim Faran