[EM] St. Louis and Pushover (Re: Reply to Rob regarding RCV)

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 01:44:03 PDT 2023

Hi Chris,

I'm going to reply to your original email (and quote it on the bottom).
I'm going to replace "SCORE" with "[STAR]" in your email, because you
agreed in an earlier mail that's what you meant

I have a lot clearer idea of what the "pushover" strategy is now, thanks
(at least partially) to your email (thank you!).  My hunch is that the
pushover strategy may not be as well-studied, but it may be that there's
different terminology used in academic circles (perhaps "pied piper"...see
below).  I'm assuming from your email address that you're Australian.  Is
"pushover" strategy common in Australian elections, and commonly named by
that name?   My hunch is that pushover is a bigger problem in IRV/RCV/STV
than it is in more consensus-oriented election methods (like approval, any
Condorcet system, STAR).  I ask this because we don't talk about "pushover"
here in the United States, but it wouldn't surprise me if Australians talk
about it a lot.  We don't have very many places using STV/IRV/RCV, and the
politics of those places (e.g. San Francisco, Cambridge Mass) are treated
like outliers in mainstream political conversation.  San Francisco has
weird politics (which I assert from my office in San Francisco)

There are more places that use "top-two open primary" (like California and
Washington state).  "Pushover" hasn't (yet) made it into the mainstream
political lexicon in either place (that I know of), but I do know that in
2022, the Democratic Party here made a point of trying pushover against the
Republicans in regular first-past-the-post primaries :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/12/democrats-interfere-republican-primaries/

It was a risky strategy, but (I'm sad to say) it probably worked in 2022.
It failed for Hillary Clinton in 2016 though (see this 2016 article about
Clinton's "pied-piper strategy"):
https://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/

This claim you make is interesting:
 "[STAR] somehow doesn't 'violate monotonicity' and yet [...] is more
vulnerable to Pushover than RCV (aka IRV) which does.".

Is that true?  It seems to me that RCV's series of runoffs lead to many
opportunities for weak candidates to snowball via transfers from eliminated
candidates.  The snowball effect in RCV usually snowballs to the center of
public opinion, but can sometimes roll toward the outskirts as candidates
get eliminated and their ballots get transferred to a stronger and stronger
candidate on the outskirts.  With STAR (and Score), I believe the candidate
needs to have strong support from all voters to get a high enough score to
advance (since all ballots are considered in the runoff round), but perhaps
similar polarization can occur under STAR over time.  It's truly an
interesting question which method is more susceptible to pushover.

As for the monotonicity of STAR, I'll need to leave it as an exercise for
the reader.  I'm not sure anyone has proven that STAR is monotonic, though
I suspect that an example of non-monotonic STAR would be a really weird
edge-case.

Rob
p.s. I've replaced "SCORE" with "[STAR]", but won't correct your spelling
of "maximising" nor "favourite", even though my spell checker really wants
me to.  English-speaking people are one people, separated by common
language.  :-)