[EM] Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 23:06:17 PDT 2023

I should add that of course my check regarding the compatibility between
one particular order for the 3 candidates’ values of one of two measures of
overall high-ranking, with one of the 3 pairwise-defeats…is just one of 36
such compatibilities that should be checked.

…for the purpose of determining which orders for the candidates’ scores,
which measures, are compatible with the pairwise defeats

…for use in determining which candidate in a top-cycle is most likely to be
a Bus, & therefore the candidate to elect.

But the identification of the candidate with median Borda, or maybe median
implicit approval, among the top-cycle, as the most likely BF seems
convincing.

…making the candidate s/he pairbeats the most likely Bus.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 14:36 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> are proposing burial prone Baldwin in place of burial resistant  IRV.
>>
>> I'm simply proposing a way of distinguishing statistically between the
>> relative prevalence of sincere and imsincere pairbeaten cycles.
>>
>> Here's one test:
>>
>> As often as possible when an RP Condorcet rules election has no ballot CW
>>
>> Let W be the RP winner. And let X be the Smith candidate with the most
>> losing votes against W.  Finally, let Y be the Smith candidate with the
>> fewest losing votes against X.
>>
>> Suppose the voters have agreed to a two stage runoff for Scientific
>> purpose
>>
>> The first stage of the runoff is to decidenif there will be a second
>> stage.
>>
>> If not W retainsbthe win .... and that's that. Otherwise, the final
>> choice is between X and Y.
>>
>> If the ballots were sincere, then since they say X beats Y, the voters
>> would expect X to win the secomd stage if it were held ... So if the ballot
>> votes were sincere they would prefer not to have the second stage ... so W
>> would retain her wim.
>>
>> But if X or Y were sincerely preferred over the other two participants in
>> this new tangled runoffbthen the moderately well informed voters will be
>> aware of that .... and the supporters of this "local CW" will willingly
>> support having a second stage knowing that they can win it ... and thereby
>> winvthe election.
>>
>> So in the long run if more of these RP winners are retained than not
>> ..the null hypothesis of sincere cycle preponderance will be supported.
>>
>> fws
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023, 6:21 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Why do we support the Condorcet criterion?  For me there are three
>>> reasons:
>>>
>>> (1) Failure to elect a voted CW can give the voters who voted the CW
>>> over the actual winner
>>> a potentially very strong, difficult (if not impossible ) to answer
>>> complaint.
>>>
>>> And those voters could be more than half the total.
>>>
>>> (2) Always electing a voted CW is (among methods that fail Favorite
>>> Betrayal) is the best way to minimise
>>> Compromise incentive.
>>>
>>> (3) Limited to the information we can glean for pure ranked ballots
>>> (especially if we decide to only refer
>>> to the pairwise matrix), the voted CW is the most likely utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> If there is no voted CW , then the winner should come from the Smith
>>> set.  Condorcet is just the logical
>>> consequence of Smith and Clone Independence (specifically Clone-Winner).
>>>
>>> Some methods are able to meet Condorcet but not Smith, but hopefully
>>> they get something in return.
>>> (For example I think Min Max Margins  gets Mono-add-Top and maybe
>>> something else).
>>>
>>> So coming to the question of which individual member of the Smith set
>>> should we elect, I don't see that a
>>> supposed, guessed-at "sincere CW" has an especially strong claim,

>>> 48 B>>>C>A
>>> 03 C>A>>>B
>>>
>>> Suppose that all voters get about the same utility from electing their
>>> favourites.  In that case A is the big utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> Now suppose that this is say the first post-FPP election, and the voters
>>> are all exhorted to express their full
>>> rankings, no matter how weak or uncertain some of their preferences may
>>> be, because we don't want anything
>>> that looks like the (shudder) "minority rule" we had under FPP.
>>>
>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A>C
>>> 48 B>C
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> C is the voted CW. For some pro-Condorcet zealots, this is ideal. No
>>> sincere preferences were reversed or
>>> "concealed", resulting in the election of the "sincere CW".
>>>
>>> (In passing I note that in most places if the non-Condorcet method
>>> IRV/RCV were used, A would be uncontroversially
>>> elected probably without anyone even noticing that C is the CW.)
>>>
>>> Backing up a bit, suppose that instead of the voters being exhorted to
>>> fully rank no-matter-what, they are given the
>>> message "this election is for a serious powerful office, so we don't
>>> want anything like GIGO ("garbage in, garbage out")
>>> so if some of your preferences are weak or uncertain it is quite ok to
>>> keep them to yourself via truncation or equal-ranking."
>>>
>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A
>>> 48 B
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> Now the voted CW is A.     Should anyone be seriously concerned that,
>>> due to so many voters truncating, that some other
>>> candidate might actually be the "sincere CW"?
>>>
>>> For me, if voters have the freedom to fully rank but for whatever reason
>>> choose to truncate (and/or equal-rank, assuming that
>>> is allowed) a lot of that is fine and the voting method should prefer
>>> not to know about weak and uncertain preferences.
>>>
>>> The type of insincere voting that most concerns me is that which
>>> produces outrageous failure of Later-no-Help, achieving by order-reversal
>>> Burial what could not have been done by simple truncation.
>>>
>>> 46 A
>>> 44 B>C (sincere is B or B>A)