[EM] Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:37:22 PDT 2023

Or maybe it would be safer to say “…the member of the top-cycle who is
pairwise-defeated by the candidate whose Borda [or implicit approval] is at
or nearest to the middle.

…even though it would sound counter-intuitive.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 16:30 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> are proposing burial prone Baldwin in place of burial resistant  IRV.
>>
>> I'm simply proposing a way of distinguishing statistically between the
>> relative prevalence of sincere and imsincere pairbeaten cycles.
>>
>> Here's one test:
>>
>> As often as possible when an RP Condorcet rules election has no ballot CW
>>
>> Let W be the RP winner. And let X be the Smith candidate with the most
>> losing votes against W.  Finally, let Y be the Smith candidate with the
>> fewest losing votes against X.
>>
>> Suppose the voters have agreed to a two stage runoff for Scientific
>> purpose
>>
>> The first stage of the runoff is to decidenif there will be a second
>> stage.
>>
>> If not W retainsbthe win .... and that's that. Otherwise, the final
>> choice is between X and Y.
>>
>> If the ballots were sincere, then since they say X beats Y, the voters
>> would expect X to win the secomd stage if it were held ... So if the ballot
>> votes were sincere they would prefer not to have the second stage ... so W
>> would retain her wim.
>>
>> But if X or Y were sincerely preferred over the other two participants in
>> this new tangled runoffbthen the moderately well informed voters will be
>> aware of that .... and the supporters of this "local CW" will willingly
>> support having a second stage knowing that they can win it ... and thereby
>> winvthe election.
>>
>> So in the long run if more of these RP winners are retained than not
>> ..the null hypothesis of sincere cycle preponderance will be supported.
>>
>> fws
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023, 6:21 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Why do we support the Condorcet criterion?  For me there are three
>>> reasons:
>>>
>>> (1) Failure to elect a voted CW can give the voters who voted the CW
>>> over the actual winner
>>> a potentially very strong, difficult (if not impossible ) to answer
>>> complaint.
>>>
>>> And those voters could be more than half the total.
>>>
>>> (2) Always electing a voted CW is (among methods that fail Favorite
>>> Betrayal) is the best way to minimise
>>> Compromise incentive.
>>>
>>> (3) Limited to the information we can glean for pure ranked ballots
>>> (especially if we decide to only refer
>>> to the pairwise matrix), the voted CW is the most likely utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> If there is no voted CW , then the winner should come from the Smith
>>> set.  Condorcet is just the logical
>>> consequence of Smith and Clone Independence (specifically Clone-Winner).
>>>
>>> Some methods are able to meet Condorcet but not Smith, but hopefully
>>> they get something in return.
>>> (For example I think Min Max Margins  gets Mono-add-Top and maybe
>>> something else).
>>>
>>> So coming to the question of which individual member of the Smith set
>>> should we elect, I don't see that a
>>> supposed, guessed-at "sincere CW" has an especially strong claim,

>>> 48 B>>>C>A
>>> 03 C>A>>>B
>>>
>>> Suppose that all voters get about the same utility from electing their
>>> favourites.  In that case A is the big utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> Now suppose that this is say the first post-FPP election, and the voters
>>> are all exhorted to express their full
>>> rankings, no matter how weak or uncertain some of their preferences may
>>> be, because we don't want anything
>>> that looks like the (shudder) "minority rule" we had under FPP.
>>>
>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A>C
>>> 48 B>C
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> C is the voted CW. For some pro-Condorcet zealots, this is ideal. No
>>> sincere preferences were reversed or
>>> "concealed", resulting in the election of the "sincere CW".
>>>
>>> (In passing I note that in most places if the non-Condorcet method
>>> IRV/RCV were used, A would be uncontroversially
>>> elected probably without anyone even noticing that C is the CW.)
>>>
>>> Backing up a bit, suppose that instead of the voters being exhorted to
>>> fully rank no-matter-what, they are given the
>>> message "this election is for a serious powerful office, so we don't
>>> want anything like GIGO ("garbage in, garbage out")
>>> so if some of your preferences are weak or uncertain it is quite ok to
>>> keep them to yourself via truncation or equal-ranking."
>>>
>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A
>>> 48 B
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> Now the voted CW is A.     Should anyone be seriously concerned that,
>>> due to so many voters truncating, that some other
>>> candidate might actually be the "sincere CW"?
>>>
>>> For me, if voters have the freedom to fully rank but for whatever reason
>>> choose to truncate (and/or equal-rank, assuming that
>>> is allowed) a lot of that is fine and the voting method should prefer
>>> not to know about weak and uncertain preferences.
>>>
>>> The type of insincere voting that most concerns me is that which
>>> produces outrageous failure of Later-no-Help, achieving by order-reversal
>>> Burial what could not have been done by simple truncation.
>>>
>>> 46 A
>>> 44 B>C (sincere is B or B>A)