[EM] Thorough Expeditious Elimination

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue Mar 21 04:20:01 PDT 2023

On 3/21/23 04:40, Forest Simmons wrote:

> So, suppose in BTR-IRV at each stage of elimination, after eliminating Y
> because it was (between the two minTop count candidates X and Y) the
> majority loser ... then instead of wasting that information, before
> going on to the next step, you also eliminate each and every candidate
> deemed (also by majority vote) to be inferior to Y ... how many
> expensive steps might that save at zero cost?

Wouldn't this be very much like Benham? Suppose that X is the CW among
uneliminated candidates, and the current bottom pairwise candidates are
X and Y. Then X beats Y pairwise and X also beats everybody else
pairwise, so X wins.

It may differ in which order it eliminates candidates in a
three-candidate Smith cycle, though.

You mention Nanson and Baldwin. Is there any way of making a BTR-Carey?
The only approaches I can think of (batch eliminate everybody with a
below-average first pref score unless the ones who beat the candidate
with first preference just above) feels artificial and may not even pass
Condorcet. A Carey Benham would be easier: eliminate up from Plurality
loser up to average Plurality score, but the moment someone is a CW
among the remaining candidates, elect that candidate.

-km