[EM] Hopeland: a new Clone Free Copeland Variant

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:42:03 PDT 2023

My "proof" leaks like a sieve, but here's the first step in a real proof by
induction:

Suppose that a hopelandwinner H needs zero friends to cover its enemies ...
which means H is unbeaten. If H's ballot support is increased, then H still
has zero enemies ... hence is still a Hopeland winner.

Let's do another (less vacuous) step to get a feel how the general
induction step might go:

So this time the Hopeland winner H needs exactly one helper friend f to
befriend it's only enemy e.

When H's support is increased, does some other candidate X suddenly turn
into a Hopeland winner needing less help than H? If not, then H remains a
Hopeland winner.

But if X suddenly finds itself with zero enemies then X, then evidently an
erstwhile enemy e' of X suddenly became a friend of X because of H's
increased ballot support.

But how could increased support for H befriend to X the last enemy e' of X?

For H to help X like this, e' and e would have to be the same candidate,
and X advanced to unbeaten status, which means X beat H both before and
after H's increased ballot support. So e'=e was already befriended by H
before H's increased ballot support ... so H's increased ballot support
could not turn X into a unique winner Hopeland winner.

[needs some tidying up].

For now, I want to give an instructive example of deducing a unique
Hopeland winner on the assumption that if there is a unique candidate H in
Hopeland that properly beats all of the other Hopeland candidates, then H
must be elected.

Start with the simple beat cycle ABCA.

Then replace C with a clone set beat cycle C1C2C3C1.

Then only the members of the clone cycle need two friends to befriend their
enemies ... for example C1 needs its friends C2 and A to cover its three
enemies C3, A, and B.

On the other hand A's enemies (the C clones) are covered by (befriended by)
on friend of A ... nam7ely B.

And the enemy of B, namely A, is covered by any one of the C clones.

So A and B form the Homeland set of tied winners. Of the two, A is the
majority winner ... so A must be elected by the assumed principle alluded
to above.

-Forest