[EM] Rehabilitating Copeland

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:02:58 PDT 2023

Here's the Enhanced Copeland method we've been leading up to:

Elect the candidate that needs the "littlest help from its friends" to
cover its enemies.

Explanation:

Last time we learned that if C is a candidate tied for Copeland winner,
then C's friends will cover its enemies ... in other words, every enemy of
C is a friend of a friend of C ... in other words C will be a Landau
candidate ... in other words,  our Enhanced Copeland Winner is the Landau
candidate that requires the least help from its friends to befriend its
enemies.

Operationally we proceed as follows:

1. Each Landau candidate C (including all tied Copeland Winners) designates
a set of candidates H(C) as its "helpers".

2. A Deliberative Assembly checks the validity of these helper claims, and
eliminates any candidate C whose enemies are not covered by H(C).

3. Next the Deliberative Aassembly narrows down the candidate pool to
T=argmin #H(C) ... the set of candidates tied for the fewest (designated)
helpers needed to defeat all of its enemies.

4.From among the members of the  set T tied for fewest needed (designated)
helpers, elect the candidate C whose Max Pairwise Opposition from an enemy
of C to a designated helper of C, is minimal.

This is the candidate C that requires the fewest helper friends (and the
least help from those so designated) in order to befriend all of its
enemies (especially the one hardest for a designated helper to befriend).

In practice, no candidate in a public election will need more than one
helper, so the method simplifies to electing the candidate C whose
designated helper H most easily befriends the enemy E of C having the most
Pairwise Opposition against H.

The less Pairwise Opposition that E has against H the less help (defined as
H's Pairwise Support against E) it takes to befriend E.

So C is the candidate that needs the least help in befriending its enemies.

Next time some examples ...