[EM] Rethinking Burial Detection Runoff

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:47:43 PDT 2023

Chris,

I like your new Condorcet method, and consider it to be a much more
practical suggestion than any of my sincere CW finder ideas currently in
progress.

The ballot profile you provided to illustrate your LV Sorted Margins burial
resistant method, ended up electing A, which we considered to be better
than electing B, because we thought that with some positive probability the
ballot profile might be a result of the B faction's insincere order
reversal .... changing sincere 44 B>A to 44 B>C, i.e. the B faction burying
A under C ... so that electing B, like just about every other method under
the sun, would encourage bad behavior.

Is it insulting to voters to build in safe guards that make insincere
truncations or burials less likely to pay?

Is it insulting to lock your front door when leaving town for a few dsys?

Borda famously said, "My method is intended for honest voters." [He was
aware of the burial incentive, but like Saari, Maskin, and many others,
apparently unconcerned about the Clone Dependence problem.]

You and I prefer methods that encourage honest voters to stay honest... and
a bicycle lock makes stealing your bike less attractive, but cannot
guarantee protection against the determined thief.

What your example profile shows is that no Universal Domain method can
determine whether or not a ballot set of complete rankings is the result of
burial of a sincere CW.

In fact, to convert B to ballot CW only takes five "unburials" : 5 C>A -->
5 C>B.  while to change C to the ballot CW takes 46 unburials: 46 A>B -->
A>C, and it takes 44 unburials to convert A into the ballot CW: 44 B>C -->
44 B>A.

It looks like B is at least as likely as A to be the sincere CW, if there
is one.  But it is impossible to know for sure without some information
outside of the Universal Domain. ... perhaps some kind of sincere runoff,
or asking Alexa, for example.

Going outside the strict Universal Domain by allowing truncations, equal
rankings, approval cutoffs, or other levers, offer additional
expressiveness that can reduce incentives for burial, compromise, etc.

I've been experimenting with how far we can get with two sets of ballots
... one possibly strategic set, for the purpose of determing the finalists
and runoff order ... and the other set dedicated solely to the kind of
runoff that elects the sincere CW whenever there is one.

And geometric considerations show that when the ballot Smith set has fewer
than four candidates, the existence of a sincere CW is much more likely
than not.

That's why my currently focus is on a three candidate (i.e. worst case
public Smith set) runoff method for which the sincere CW (when there is
one) is the game theoretic winner (assuming perfect information and
rational voting).

Next time, a method that will seem more familiar!

fws