[EM] One benefit to nonmonotone methods

James Faran jjfaran at buffalo.edu
Sun Jul 30 18:17:40 PDT 2023

Not monotone?

44 A>B>C
28 C>A>B
28 B>C>A

An A>B>C>A cycle, but C has the least support, so C and, because C beats A pairwise, A as well, are eliminated so B wins.  Yay, B!

Hold on, 17 A>B>C voters decide they like B better than A and become B>A>C voters.

27 A>B>C
28 C>A>B
28 B>C>A
17 B>A>C

Now we have the same cycle, but A has the smallest MaxPairwiseSupport, so A and B are eliminated and C wins! The 17 voters made their new favorite lose.

Or I may be misunderstanding something.

Jim Faran