[EM] Differentiation for monotonicity, linear Condorcet methods

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Jul 13 06:56:12 PDT 2023

(Finally!)

The cycle behavior of fpA-fpC, but also a surprisingly large number of
other Condorcet methods, can in the three-candidate universal domain no
tie case be phrased the following way:

Without loss of generality, suppose that the cycle is A>B>C>A and that
we're trying to determine the rank of candidate A.

Let w = [w_ABC, ..., w_CBA] be a weight vector depending on the method.
Then let x_A = [ABC, ..., CBA] be a value vector that indicates the
number of people who voted a particular way. The _A means "from the
perspective of A".

For instance, x_A = [1, 1, 0, 0, 2, 3] is
1: A>B>C
1: A>C>B
2: C>A>B
3: C>B>A

Then the method's score of candidate A is w dot x_A. By relabeling the
candidates and following the cycle,
	x_A = [ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA]
	x_B = [BCA, BAC, CBA, CAB, ABC, ACB]
	x_C = [CAB, CBA, ACB, ABC, BCA, BAC]

so that B's score is w dot x_B, and C's score is w dot x_C. Call these
scores f(A), f(B), and f(C).

Some weight vectors are:
	fpA-fpC: [1, 1, 0, 0, -1 -1], i.e. fpA - fpC
	Smith,Plurality: [1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0], i.e. fpA
	Minmax, Schulze, etc: [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0], i.e. A>C
	max A>B: [1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0], i.e. A>B
	Forest's recent method: [-1, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0], i.e. -lpC

To pass a particular relative criterion for a method of this type, we
need two things:
	1. That the method pass at the boundary between "A is a CW" and
"A>B>C>A cycle"
	2. That moving further into the "A>B>C>A cycle" region in a way that
shouldn't make A lose, doesn't make A lose.

For instance, for DMTCBR, #1 means that under no election where A would
be a DMT candidate, except that due to one (or an epsilon amount of a)
BAC ballot being replaced with a BCA one, we now have an ABCA cycle,
should A lose. The epsilon puts it right at the boundary. #2 means that
replacing more BAC ballots with BCA should not change the situation from
one where A's score is greater than B and C's, to one where B's score is
greater than A and C's.

Monotonicity is particularly well-behaved: you can't raise A and get
from a CW region to a cycle. So we don't need to care about #1 because
if the method passes Condorcet, the election has to be in a cycle for
raising A to harm A.

Which leaves #2, which is where I pull the differential approach.

Monotonicity means that A shouldn't go from winning to losing by raising
A (or, I think equivalently, that A shouldn't go from losing to winning
by being lowered?). This is a bit tricky to deal with, so I'll use the
following stronger version:

It shouldn't be possible for A to go from being ranked ahead of X in the
social outcome to being ranked below X, simply by some voters raising A
on their ballots.

This is stronger because it concerns the social outcome, not just
winning vs losing. But it's easier to quantify, as what it means is that
moving an epsilon of voting weight from a ballot ranking A kth to one
ranking A (k-1th) shouldn't narrow the gap f(A) - f(B) nor the gap f(A)
- f(C).

Let g(A) = f(A) - f(B), h(A) = f(A) - f(C). Then (strong) monotonicity
implies
	dg/dABC - dg/dBAC >= 0
	dg/dBAC - dg/dBCA >= 0
	dg/dACB - dg/dCAB >= 0
	dg/dCAB - dg/dCBA >= 0

and equivalently for dh.

Since everything is linear, it's just all a bunch of linear
inequalities. The hard part is getting the fiddly bits right, but I'll
try. Hopefully there are no missteps.

	dg/dABC - dg/dBAC >= 0

(w_ABC - w_CAB) - (w_BAC - w_ACB) >= 0

	dg/dBAC - dg/dBCA >= 0

(w_BAC - w_ACB) - (w_BCA - w_ABC) >= 0

	dg/dACB - dg/dCAB >= 0

(w_ACB - w_CBA) - (w_CAB - w_BCA) >= 0

	dg/dCAB - dg/dCBA >= 0

(w_CAB - w_BCA) - (w_CBA - w_BAC) >= 0

and similarly for dh:

(w_ABC - w_BCA) - (w_BAC - w_CBA) >= 0
(w_BAC - w_CBA) - (w_BCA - w_CAB) >= 0
(w_ACB - w_BAC) - (w_CAB - w_ABC) >= 0
(w_CAB - w_ABC) - (w_CBA - w_ACB) >= 0

Now let's try the -lpc method: w_ABC = w_BAC = -1, everything else 0.

(-1 - 0) - (-1 - 0) >= 0		OK
(-1 - 0) - (0 - -1) >= 0		not OK	(dg/dBAC - dg/dBCA)
(0 - 0) - (0 - 0) >= 0			OK
(0 - 0) - (0 - -1) >= 0			not OK	(dg/dCAB - dg/dCBA)
(-1 - 0) - (-1 - 0) >= 0		OK
(-1 - 0) - (0 - 0) >= 0			not OK	(dh/dBAC - dh/dBCA)
(0 - -1) - (0 - -1) >= 0		OK
(0 - -1) - (0 - 0) >= 0			OK

This suggests:
	- raising A from BCA to BAC can make B gain score at the expense of A,
	- raising A from CAB to CBA can make B gain score, and
	- raising A from BAC to BCA can make C gain score at the expense of A.

Let's check.

if f(A) = -lpC, then since C is the candidate beating A pairwise,
    f(B) = -lpA and
    f(C) = -lpB.

f(A) - f(B) = lpA - lpC,
f(A) - f(C) = lpB - lpC.

If we raise A from BCA to BAC, that increases lpC by one and decreases
lpA by one. So f(A) - f(B) decreases, which benefits B. In addition,
f(A) - f(C) decreases because it too has a -lpC term. So C is also
helped, though not as much as B.

If we raise A from CBA to CAB, that increases lpB by one and decreases
lpA by one. So f(A) - f(C) decreases, which benefits C.

So that checks out.

Compare to fpA-fpC:
w = [1, 1, 0, 0, -1 -1]

(1 - -1) - (0 - 1) >= 0
(0 - 1) - (0 - 1) >= 0
(1 - -1) - (-1 - 0) >= 0
(-1 - 0) - (-1 - 0) >= 0
(1 - 0) - (0 - -1) >= 0
(0 - -1) - (0 - -1) >= 0
(1 - 0) - (-1 - 1) >= 0
(-1 - 1) - (-1 - 1) >= 0

for which all the inequalities are satisfied.

Also, the following modification to Forest's method, derived by linear
programming:

f(A) = -lpC - 2 lpA
w = [-1, 0, -1, -2, 0, -2]

should be monotone, as:

(-1 - 0) - (-1 - 0) = 0
(-1 - 0) - (-2 - -1) = 0

but I don't see why you would bother with it, as it's likely not burial
resistant.

That should be it!

-km