[EM] Ranked Pairs Feint to Max Gradient Chain Building

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:32:07 PST 2023

I seem to have lost a draft of a reply ... I won't try to repeat the whole
thing ... just that many numerical experiments are in deed needed ...
specifically to find the best performing defeat strength measures.

Here's one worth exploring ...
max(winning Top, losing Bottom)

Here's an example ...

8 A>B (Sincere is A>C)
6 B>C
4 C (Sincere is C>A)

A>B winning top 8, losing bottom 4
B>C winning top 6, losing bottom 8
C>A winning top 4, losing bottom 10

The max strength is 10 for C>A

This restores the win to the sincere CW.

I like it!

This rule seems to be the best expedient against  Dark Horse winners that
some methods elect when the middle range category is the vague,
other/default category ... in this case the outer categories of definite
approval (equal Top) and definite disapproval (equal Bottom) leave the
middle category as the vague "other" default ... a dark horse red flag for
the method inventor.

Our remedy is the defeat strength's prominent usage of the max value of the
two definite categories as a guard against an unknown nobody winning by
default.

-Forest