[EM] "Total Vote Runoff"

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:09:24 PST 2023

There is a very simple, transparrnt Condorcet method (and really only one
such method) along these lines that is both clone free and tournament
monotone: Worst Loser Elimination(WLE).

It's really the only RCV method worth serious consideration ... given the
current election reform environment ... which (among other considerstions)
only allows elimination methods.

For that reason I want to give a simple, transparent explanation of it in
sports tournament language.

A simple but thorough way to determine the championship winning basketball
team in a given league is by means of a tournament in which every team is
pitted in a head to head matchup with every other team.

If one team wins every one of its matches, then that team is the undisputed
universal champion.

Otherwise we eliminate one team at a time until there is such an undisputed
champion among the remaining teams.

Which team should be eliminated first?

If there is any team that lost every single one of its matchups (a
universal loser), then it qualifies as "worst loser" and is to be
eliminated first.

More generally, at any elimination stage a team that has lost every match
among the remaining teams should be the next team to be eliminated.

If at any stage there is no such Universal Loser, then we eliminate another
contestant for "worst loser".. the team closest to being "skunked" by the
other remaining teams ... the one closest to having zero points in one of
its matchups with another remaining team.

In this manner ... until there is an undisputed champ among the remaining
teams we eliminate (from among the remaining candidates) the worst loser
... defined as eithe the universal loser or  (lacking that) the most nearly
skunked team.

The tournament finish order for the tournament is the reverse order of the
eliminations ... first eliminated finishes last ... last eliminated
finishes first. "The first shall be last, a d the last shall be first!"

There is one obvious question about our choice of which candidate to
eliminate when there is no universal loser: why not just eliminate the
candidate with the most lost matches?

There are two relevant  reasons: 1. It is very likely that two teams will
be tied for the most losses among the remaining candidates at some stage
...as in a rock,paper,scissors cycle tie where each of three remaining team
loses to exactly one other team ... so then a tie breaking method must be
introduced ... complicating things. Remember, we place a high premium on
both decisiveness and simplicity in the public election context that we
have in the back of our minds. 2. This alternate elimination rule would not
do in the election methods context that we are contemplating, because itt
would create a clone independence violation of "teaming vulnerability" that
out of fairness considerations must be avoided at all costs in the election
methods context ... otherwise it would be like teams (think a set of
related candidates) colluding to prop up one of their buddies by carefully
selecting whom they lose to ... not trying very hard to win against their
agreed upon buddy. This distortion can happen accidentally too ...
independent of bad intentions.

So how do we convert this tournament championship method into a single
winner election method?

The number of points that candidate X gets in its matchup with candidate Y
is simply the number of ballots on which candidate X is ranked ahead of
candidate Y.

A rectangular table is created that has a row for each candidate listing
their points against the others. In the row for candidate X put a star next
to each candidate that loses a match to one or more of the other candidates.

If there is a candidate whose row has no stars, that candidate is the
undisputed champ.

Otherwise eliminate the candidate that has a star next to every entry in
its row ... unless there is no such candidate ... in which case eliminate
the candidate whose row contains the smallest starred number.

When you eliminate a candidate ... erase its entire row as well as all of
the points against it by other candidates ..
 so that all remaining table entries refer only to the remaining candidates.

Then repeat the same process applied to the remaining table ... and since
the remaing stars refer only to the pairwise losses among the remaining
candidates, they are still valid ... no need to reestablish them at every
step.

Et Cetera!

Thanks!

Spread the word!