[EM] Borda-likes (was: Just to let you know...)

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Tue Jan 17 11:11:07 PST 2023

  Hello Kevin,

Yes there is a lot of confusion of my meanings, here. My own ideas have
been evolving, also.

My main purpose is democratic representation, which single members don't
fulfill, even if BSTV is more rational than trad STV.

BSTV both elects and excludes candidates, in the same rational way,
whereas trad STV is not a dually rational election, but fairly stable
and robust, the more seats per constituency.

STV including BSTV has nothing to do with a multi-seat Borda. The
Gell-Mann reference is to possible Borda method affinities with found
patterns from statistical analysis of miscllaneous data.

You are quite right if you think trad STV does not obey information
conservation; that is, not in its exclusion count. I don't know any
election system that does obey it, apart from Binomial STV. The Gregory
method or (extended use of) keep values, deploys the most powerful
scales of measurement, including interval and ratio scales, which
amounts to the best use of information. BSTV extends its use to
candidates in deficit, as well as surplus, of a quota, and to (reversed
preferences) exclusion counts, as well as election counts.

I am talking about two candiates always being a cycle, in the same
manner of abstract logic, as the scissors, papar, rock argument is held.

I have published a book and booklets on Binomial STV. My ideas have
grown, tho.

Regards,

Richard (Lung).