[EM] Borda-likes (was: Just to let you know...)

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Jan 16 14:31:22 PST 2023

Hello Kevin,

Judging by the discussion on Borda's method, by JFS Ross, in Elections
and Electors. (1955) Laplace was aware Borda method is manipulable.
(Ross played this down.) It allows manipulation of the count weights
between candidates. The cumulative voting family of methods parades this
as a virtue. As Enid Lakeman said, cumulative votes count against each
other. The Gregory method, used in all STV, including my version,
over-comes this redundancy. (Parsimony is counted a virtue in scientific
theory construction.)

Borda may have the last word, however. The Quark and the Jaguar, by
Murray Gell-Mann discusses series patterns found in nature. (I made a
few notes on it, in an e-book, Science and Democracy Reviews.) For
instance the statistics of city populations follow a common series. The
biggest city as unity population, the next biggest city as roughly half
the size and so on. I forget now, all the examples, whether they were
harmonic, geometric or arithmetic series. Gell-Mann said they didn't
know why they did that. Maybe they have found out, by now. It may be
that similar marked patterns will also be found in voting data. In fact,
we already know that there is an exponential falling off in voters
stating their orders of preference. It may be possible to state more
precise similarities.

Enid Lakeman looked into the change in electoral law in Malta. They were
aggrieved that the party with the most first preferences didn't have the
most seats, and changed the law accordingly. Lakeman pointed out that
first preferences are not the full weight of the vote. The full weight
is not counted by removing candidates, as spoilers, from the contest.

Binomial STV differs from the general usage, and Borda, in that it
counts all the preferences, including abstentions, relative to the
available vacancies. The more candidates than seats, the more the lowest
preferences exclude, rather than elect. Counting abstentions serves a
significant purpose, because if abstentions occur later than sooner, the
more the (binomial) count is an election, rather than an exclusion of
candidates.

The law of conservation of information is an inter-disciplinary rule
that, in a closed system, information, like energy, can neither be
created nor destroyed. In physics, energy and information are being
translated. The holographic principle was introduced to refute the
supposed loss of information from an object passing beyond the point of
no-return, the event horizon, to a black hole. (Leonard Susskind
discusses it online.) In "electics" or election method, all the
preference votes are counted. The binomial count is by STV, because
traditional STV already makes the best use of the information, in a
rational election count. Binomial STV duplicates a rational count in the
exclusion count, replacing a crude "last past the post" type exclusion,
not a lot better than first past the post or simple plurality. ----- For
Binomial STV, I use a more convenient form of Gregory method, the keep
value, introduced by Meek method, but capable of much wider use.

  Two candidates are always in a cycle, with just two perms: AB versus
BA. Three candidates perms display only some cyclicity, which decreases
exponentially with the number of candidates.

Regards,

Richard Lung.