[EM] Simple Acceptable Ranked Choice Voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:29:56 PST 2023

It seems the way through is to make every step a covering step ... then
when the winner W gets a stronger step ... cutting in front of a bunch of
Y's that it followed before its strength increase ... it still covers all
of those Y's so no Z can be added just because it beats W and the previous
members of the chain.

I think we can get away with the very first step A>B  not being a covering:

Make it the single strongest defeat possible so that the first chain head A
is the "Gross Defeat Strength Champ."

Then until the current chain head is uncovered ... at each stage the new
head is the candidate with the strongest possible defeat of the old head by
any candidate covering it (the old head).

Example:

35 A>B>C
25 B>C>A
40 C>A>B

The strongest defeat is A>B (75 to 25).

And since the head A is uncovered, the chain cannot be continued, since by
our new rule all defeats after the first must be coverings.

So A wins.

Now is this monotone?

Shall we call it Max Gradient Ascent MGA?

-Forest