[EM] Worst Loser Elimination 2.0

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Tue Feb 28 20:28:18 PST 2023

Elimination methods may have a policy mandate but they do not have a scientific or knowledge mandate. They violate conservation of (preference) information. Elimination independent of scale of preference is precisely the fault, found over two centuries ago, by Pierre-Simon Laplace, according to JFS Ross, with Condorcet pairing elimination of candidates. It does not take into account the relative importance of higher to lower preferences. Why Laplace sided with Borda amounted to his opening the way to rational counts of preference ranges. Of which Gregory supplied the definitive statistical method to next preferences, of weighting in arithmetic proportion.

It is doubtful whether the Condorcet Winner (or conversely Loser) applies to more than single winner elections, the least democratic, lacking multi-member range of representation. This perhaps may be demonstrated by the consideration that individual candidates hold an over-lapping group or "party" of opinions. Voters support for parties themselves become less and less partisan with more particular choices of parties in proportionally elected multi-member constituencies. So, it may be the CW becomes less and less an absolute individual choice, within the wider context of personal proportional representation, in multi-member constituencies.

Regards,
Richard Lung.