[EM] Truncation not allowed (was Re[2]: Hey guys, look at this...)

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Feb 25 03:09:18 PST 2023

There is a way to get round that problem of a compulsory last preference
helping to elect a candidate, that the voter opposes.

As you pointed out, the compulsory voting of all preferences still holds
for the Australian lower house single member districts. So, the voter is
obliged to possibly help an opponent they would never willingly vote
for. Binomial STV would put the voter back in charge, because when the
voter ranks more candidates than there are seats, the preferences start
to count more and more against candidates. Thus, a last preference may
count as much against a candidate, as a first preference counts for a
candidate. This is because Binomial STV (apparently the sole birational
voting method) consists of a rational exclusion count exactly like the
normal election count of surplus transfers, but with the preferences in
reverse order. And abolishing the traditional STV "last past the post"
eliminations, when election surpluses run out.

An exclusion count is not necessarily a negation of an election. An
elected candidate, on a quota, may not be excluded, on a quota. That is
to say a popular candidate may also be a not unpopular candidate.

All possible abstentions are allowed and all are counted (conservation
of preferences), which determines how much the voters are inclined to
elect or exclude the line-up of candidates.

Regards,

Richard Lung.