[EM] Two election method observations

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Feb 20 06:08:05 PST 2023

First: Let's say that method B is a more decisive version of method A if
you can get B by breaking ties in the outcomes produced by A. (I.e. B's
outcome never ranks X ahead of Y whn A ranks Y ahead of X, but sometimes
ranks X ahead of Y when A ranks X equal to Y.)

Then it's possible for B to be summable even when A isn't. So
tiebreaking can make matters *easier*. (This unfortunately makes
election method design harder.)

Second: Suppose you have some black box method that only does "n-1 out
of n" multiwinner elections, i.e. where the number of seats is one less
than the number of candidates. Suppose this method is Droop
proportional. Then the following multiwinner method is Droop
proportional in general and extends the method to any-seat elections:

	1. Do an n-1 out of n election.
	2. If n-1 is equal to the number of seats, you're done and that's the
outcome.
	3. Otherwise, eliminate whoever was not elected and go to 1.

My proof idea is like this: Suppose that we're trying to elect k seats
and there are n candidates, and |V| voters. Then the Droop quota for k
seats is |V|/(k+1). So suppose that the Droop proportionality criterion
states that q candidates from some coalition must be elected because
q|V|/(k+1) voters ranked them first. Then since the Droop quota for n-1
seats is lower than that for k seats, at least q candidates from the
coalition must also be elected in the (n-1) seat election. Hence the nth
candidate (the one who's not elected when the (n-1) seat election is
performed) can't be any of the q. So eliminating him can't violate any
future Droop constraints.

The rest follows pretty straightforwardly from induction.

So in a sense, the hard part of a proportional multiwinner method is the
(n-1) out of n election. Solve that and you can get Droop
proportionality in general -- although it would probably be neither
monotone nor summable.

The funny/interesting part is that no actual multiwinner election method
I know of is constructed this way. Perhaps something notable could be
found in the space of election methods that look like this?

-km