[EM] IMDb top 250 list with PR

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Feb 17 05:42:27 PST 2023

On 2/17/23 14:01, Toby Pereira wrote:
> Thanks for the insights, Kristofer. In a way, recommender systems (as I
> generally understand them) are the opposite of a proportional list, as
> recommender systems tend to end up with lots of things that are similar.
> But it's still conceptually similar and you might want a recommender
> system to suggest a more diverse range of stuff.

Yeah; everybody who's had the "you bought a kitchen stove, here are
fifteen more kitchen stoves you may be interested in" effect happen to
them would know that diversity is a benefit :-)

I guess the link is that recommenders are diverse across different
people. If you can't customize your response to the recipient at all,
then the only way to be diverse across different people is to do
something like PR or consensus voting.

... and that what I'm saying is just that they should also be diverse
over time, when they don't know who the person is or if his tastes have
changed. In a way, the same person at different times become different
people.

(Consensus voting is my term for things like minmax approval, where the
outcome is so that it's liked most by the voter who likes it the least.
E.g. if you're buying pizzas for a party, everybody should be able to
choose at least one pizza they like. I don't know what the formal term
for these method types are.)

-km